New to The best rally car n the world

Subbie_4_Lyfe

Just got a 07 STI and already have the Cobb intake and SF box next is the exhaust.
What is the best recommended exhaust to setup for stage 2??:bang:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI.COM!!!! Pictures of the STi please! Did the car come with a Cobb Accessport as well?

Any turbo back exhaust will do for stage 2. I recommend you get a catted downpipe for better flow and a more consistent tune. As far as the catback goes, any will work the same way. It's all preference of sound! :tup:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Welcome to the family.

Let's see some pics.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Exhaust, what a subject. As far as the axle-back (muffler, etc..) is concerned, its largely down to sound, look, and weight (if you're into that). There are LOTS of youtube videos you can find with different exhaust setups.

As for the downpipe, most will serve you just fine. There are catted (emissions legal) and uncatted (usually illegal, but most states dont care except CA). The uncatted will usually net you a bit more performance, but only maybe butt-dyno noticeable. There are a ton of brands out there.

The one thing to take into account with the post-turbo exhaust, is that it's a true 3" all the way to the end. Some downpipes neck down to 2.5" which is an unnecessary restriction since most people end up with a 3".

So that's what most people think of when they talk "exhaust" but theres also some pre-turbo exhaust components: the header and up-pipe. There are definitely gains to be had there! Are you interested in those as well? If so, the first question you have to answer is: equal (EL) or un-equal length (UEL)? UEL is what the car comes with and is generally attributed to the "boxer rumble" you may have heard about. But UEL basically has exhaust pulses from each cylinder colliding with eachother and is probably not an ultimate-power type of setup. But it sounds fun. EL, on the other hand, has all the exhaust pulses equally distributed..but loses some of the traditional sound. You dont have to swap the whole header out: there are some "cross-pipe" options, namely the GrimmSpeed cross-pipe that can give you some gains. You can also port and polish (PnP) the other OEM header components for some reasonable gains. I havent actually done that but its pretty widely done, from what i understand. The headers connect to the up-pipe (which goes up to the turbo). I dont actually know much about the OEM up-pipe, but there are lots of options for those as well. But you'll want to make sure before you buy anything that they all connect nicely: some are two-bolt, some are three-bolt, and the occasionaly v-band from what i remember.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The 07 is a great car, (longer 4th gear too) but you need to get your hands on a Cobb Accessport or at very least, get an open source pro-tune before you start beating on the engine. Who knows what the previous owner may have done to the tune. The 07 has some history of popping piston ringlands and while some believe the pistons used were of poor quality, the general consensus is that the tune was tweaked by Subaru to comply with new emissions standards which created some dangerous lean conditions that could cause engine knock. So the first thing I'd do is get a Cobb AP and flash on an OTS Stage I tune.

ZachTTLM

I agree with the AccessPORT suggestion. Far as exhaust goes for these cars I recommend the Invidia Downpipe and Catback. Depending on what you want you can either go catless or high flow cat style pipe. We would be happy to provide you pricing on these items when you are ready