Oil filter capacity question

XxNitr0xX

So, I think I may have forgotten to remove my old oil filters seal when changing the oil the other day. I notice on my new filter, there's a fresh drop of oil running down the side of it every time I drive now. My question is, if I remove my new filter and replace it, how much oil will I lose and have to re-add? Would it be enough to have to add into the oil filler, or would just filling up the filter itself with oil be enough?

XxNitr0xX

I felt it and if anything, it feels too tight. I know it should generally be hand tightened, which I did, but I can't hand loosen it now. I have a spare quart in my trunk and 1 at the house. I was actually a little over-filled and had to drain some, do you think over filling could have been causing it to leak? I'm almost positive I forgot to remove the seal, though. I remember pulling off the old and just throwing on the new. Probably doesn't have a good seal.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
better safe than sorry. Since you've got extra oil, just pull the filter, and check.

XxNitr0xX

Yeah, I'll do that tomorrow. Another question, do you guys think that could have anything to do with a puff of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust on warm starts?? It was happening a little on cold starts from the excess oil, which has since stopped, but I noticed today it had a little puff on a warm start. I don't see how the oil filter would play a part, but I figured I would ask, since it does seem a little leaky. Any other ideas of what it could be? Blow by? I had forged pistons installed around 30,000 miles ago so head gasket was replaced, and valves were all checked.

Last edited:

XxNitr0xX

I'm going to keep checking, but I think it was just over-tightened. I needed an oil filter wrench to get it off, but there was no extra seal and the filters seal was fine. Burned about a quarter tank so far and I don't see anymore signs of leakage..