Plasti dip the wheels

RallySoob

I got my first load of plasti dip today... I think that is about half of it. still got few more colors and more white coming too

Tonight...I will lay down the white 3 coats and then Blaze yellow for another 4-5 coats. By morning it should be near dry and ready to roll by noon tomorrow if its dry out. I havent decided on a metalizer, pearlizer or glossifier...I have all of them. gold, copper, silver, smoke, pearl and gloss..white, black, flat red, blaze blue, blaze yellow, blaze green and the smoke glossifier

Base: Black Rota torques 18" on white 06 STi

I will update this thread with each color as I change them. If all goes to plan I should be changing the color every week or 2 and will be doing more than 5-7 different colors. First up is the neon yellow, then green, at some point white, neon blue, deep red, gold, and finish with glossed black. I will do the tow hooks to match each time. should look neat.

For those that dont know, plasti dip comes off super easy if you make the coats thick... It peels off and leaves next to no residue behind. Makes changing color very fast in comparison to paint. It also dries much faster than paint. When its dry it is literally the consistency of a condom

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Cool deal. I got into plastidip last fall when I did my BBS. Stuff held up well so I just did my summer wheels, installing them this weekend.
I'm interested in seeing how the deep red turns out. I had flirted with the idea of doing that color on one set of wheels.
Definitely want to follow your progress. Keep us posted

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Im super curious to see the effects of various metalizers, etc. Please try LOTS of things and let us know!

I want to paint my BBS gold with plasti dip but i've been too much of a wuss.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Im super curious to see the effects of various metalizers, etc. Please try LOTS of things and let us know!

I want to paint my BBS gold with plasti dip but i've been too much of a wuss.

Let me say the BBS was a pita. All the nooks and crannies and spokes it was frustrating!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I've plastidipped my stockers black. Make sure you have AT LEAST 3 thick coats or you're going to have a bad time peeling it off. I've had pink laying in the garage for a while now, I'm thinking it's time to strip the black off and lay on the pink since this weeks is looking nice as hell. Also gotta do a bunch of other shit too. :lol:

RallySoob

thanks guys. From what I am reading it sounds like more coats the better. I prefer minimum of 6 coats and prob end up closer to 10 once you factor in primer, color and finisher...maybe more

anyway, I am doing 1 wheel right now because its my first plasti-dip experience. I hate to mess up 4 wheels... If this turns out then I'll color match it but I expect to peel it off before doing all 4 together.

These pics are real time...posting here as i go

RallySoob

I read 30 minute dry time between coats is recomended but Ive seen people in tutorials only go 10-15mins. With regular paint I usually go half hour myself. but thise stuff dries faster. I anticipate it being 'touchable' after 20 mins from my experience messing around with it so far...spraying household items ;) peels off really well...very neat stuff. its a liquid condom in a can haha

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sick sick sick

RallySoob

Its getting brighter... Coat 4 of yellow.. Almost through the can cuz i played around with it b4 hand

IMG_4561_zps80fa0147.jpg

IMG_4562_zpsc6aeaec7.jpg

RallySoob

Oh ya i had a thick coat of turtle brand long term tire black on my tires which makes overspray literaly fall off. This stuff is like a slippery, rubberized, super gloss type paint that lasts 4 months. I cant get it off, i tried. But glad i have it now. Its so slick that no tape will hold on the tire anyway...it fell off several times before i said screw it

the weight of the overspray is building up thus causing the accrued overspray ring to want to fall off but i need it as a mask still lol. Thats how slick it is

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I don't tape the tires. I just let it peel off going down the road or pick at it like an OCD meth head.
Good idea about the tire shine. May have to grease them up next time I change a color.

RallySoob

One wheelin til tonite.. Going take it off & do all 4 in blaze green. Save my yellow for later so i can run it a long time because i love the way it looks. The camera does not capture the depth this neon yellow has in sun light. Its beautiful

RallySoob

Test stage done haha. going green now...will do all 4 at same time.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I like it. Did they turn out like you wanted?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Can't wait to see more! :tup:

RallySoob

i am painting the right side wheels that blaze yellow. I really like that color. And its kinda kewl to go multi color.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Very nice. Cant wait to see yellow. So how many coats are you doing?

RallySoob

I been doing 3-4 coats of white for a base. then another 4-5 coats of color. And 2 coats glossifier. My coats are pretty light, probably lighter than needed and I wait atleast 30mins between coats if not several hours between.

The prep spray is huge. also, its super important to get good adhesion around the lip of the rim so run the spray can into that outer ring where the tire bead meets the wheel. If you dont, the paint will come up around the lip and peel off like my first attempt.

To be honest I am a bit worried about the final texture of this stuff when its completely dry. Its very rubbery and porus. I dont see it washing up very well or if at all but we'll seee. I need to read up on how to wash this stuff. But its super weird texture. The glossifier totally added depth to the green. The pics look nothing like the actual wheel color. The green is way more neon irl. more like the yellow but for some reason doesnt come out in pictures