Previous Accident, Camber is now uneven

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm posting this on behalf of a friend. He's on here, but doesnt post much.

Anyways, he bought a used STI and apparently he just had it in for an alignment. Here's the message he sent me:

Front caster is off by 1 degree left to right. The kid [previous owner] said he hit a curb but replaced everything. The mechanic said to change the lower control arm.

What do you guys think?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sounds like something is off.

nathan2001

Is there a new strut on the car? I think if the lower control arm was bent the camber would be more positive on that side and the caster would also be out. If there both not out I would be looking at just the strut.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Did you take it to a subaru shop yet?

I'm no expert on these matters, but it might be worth getting the original owner's insurance info. They were supposed to have fixed the car...which apparently they did not. This should *probably* be at the insurance company's expense. But i would try to get it pre-approved by them instead of after-the-fact.

I know that "frame damage" is a serious thing in terms of car sales, repairs, disclosures, etc... If the insurance company did not fix frame damage and did not have the car inspected for it, i expect there's a larger litigation risk from you and/or previous owner and they'll want to get everything sorted out.

Last edited:

melia

Braddles,

the insurance was never involved thus the clean carfax record. i havent taken it to the dealer yet as i am in the moving process and the issue is not urgent.