How To: GR Remove Top Mount Intercooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

06STI360

I realize that most of us on here are pretty handy at stuff like this, but I figured I would post this to help anyone who may need it. Picture quality is not the best but it helps.

First things first, what you will need:

- About 30 minutes, uninstalled and re-installed. You could do it in about 15 minutes once you get good at it.
- Allow your engine to cool for approx. 1 hour after long driving, if you wear gloves you could do it while its hot.
-Tools:
- 12mm deep socket or shallow with extension to clear top of TMIC(6 point please!!)
- Medium size flat head screw driver
- 8mm socket(optional)

First step:

engine1e.jpg

- Loosen the hose clamp holding the TMIC to the throttle body, I find its only necessary to loosen the one holding the throttle body itself. (Use the 8mm socket for this one it makes it easier)(White circle)

-Loosen hose clamp holding the IC charge pipe to the turbo outlet(circled in pink). Use the flathead screwdriver on this one. It has a clamp that holds it to the pipe so don't worry about dropping it.

-Remove the two bolts holding the BPV to the Intercooler(circled in green, bolts in red) with your 12mm socket. Be careful once you get it off there is a gasket in between, don't let it fall.(mine stuck to the TMIC)

-Remove two bolts(one on each side of TMIC) with your 12mm socket(socket+extension to make it easier)(red circles on both sides)

-Gently pull on the PCV hoses and remove them from the black pipe that runs across the front of the TMIC.(circled in yellow) There are two on the pass. side and one on the driver side. A small amount of oil/gross stuff will leak out so its a good idea to have a shop rag handy.

Now that your IC is free and only being held on by the hoses you can take it off, I found the following to be the best method.

engine2t.jpg

Standing in front of the car grab both sides of the IC firmly, push the IC toward the windshield while pulling up at the same time. Wiggle it a little and it will come free. You should now have something like this:

engine30.jpg

Make sure you put the IC somewhere it wont get damaged. For ease of re-instilation remove this bracket that holds the IC in place, it is held on by 2 12mm bolts circled in red. Remove the whole bracket, you will re-install it after the IC goes back in.

Thats it! If you are going to be removing stock DP or heatshield I recomend removing this bracket also, it it held on by two 12mm bolts, one on each side. It makes it much easier.

engine40.jpg

To re-install, place the Intercooler into the engine bay and align IC input hose to turbo outlet. This is where the removal of that bracket comes in handy as it should be fairly easy. Once its ligned up you can push the whole IC toward the turbo while pulling slightly torard you. This should bring the coupler over the throttle body. Wiggle it until the hose on the turbo is flush with the ridge on the turbo. Re-install the bracket for the drivers side IC mounting point and tighten everything up! Don't forget to reconnect the PCV system lines(oily mess).

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Very nice and professional write up. Wonder how close it is to the GD?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
From what I can see it is the same procedure.

Nicely done.

Status
Not open for further replies.