Shed some light for me please

STeye

What's this I hear about the current STI motors having piston problems? This alone makes me not want to do anything to my ECU or anything to the motor that will void my warranty. I don't plan on doing any performance mods to the motor for any time soon, but I will eventually get it tuned. But this problem, if real, will keep me from doing it. So far my immediate wants are a cat back exhaust, possibly a Perrin air oil separator, mud flaps and some various odd and end styling stuff.

Again, I would like to eventually get a tune done, but not if I'm possibly going to end up with a blown motor due to the poor piston design. So what does the hive say? Can somebody shed some light on this Subie noob for me???

By the way, I'm about to crack the 1k mile break in period and can't wait to start opening the car up some!!!!!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
A bad tune will blow a motor. Case closed. Just kidding! ;)

@301BOOSTED.COM what do you say about this question?

STeye

I would love to get a mild tune done, from a reputable tuner, since the factory tune isn't the best. But don't want Subaru denying warranty work blaming a blown motor on the tune when it was actually the faulty design of the pistons. Again, if the design really is faulty.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We own so many Subaru's and never blew up one motor or had any issues ever.

[MENTION=5626]301BOOSTED.COM[/MENTION] does amazing tunes. ??

Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!

STeye

We own so many Subaru's and never blew up one motor or had any issues ever.

@301BOOSTED.COM does amazing tunes. 

Then whats up with the pistons? Something about the rings or something. I just recall reading that the design was not good. I cant even remember where I read it. Just looking for clarification.

301BOOSTED.COM

Inactive Vendor
What's this I hear about the current STI motors having piston problems? This alone makes me not want to do anything to my ECU or anything to the motor that will void my warranty. I don't plan on doing any performance mods to the motor for any time soon, but I will eventually get it tuned. But this problem, if real, will keep me from doing it. So far my immediate wants are a cat back exhaust, possibly a Perrin air oil separator, mud flaps and some various odd and end styling stuff.

Again, I would like to eventually get a tune done, but not if I'm possibly going to end up with a blown motor due to the poor piston design. So what does the hive say? Can somebody shed some light on this Subie noob for me???

By the way, I'm about to crack the 1k mile break in period and can't wait to start opening the car up some!!!!!

Well let's start with the basic info. Yes there is speculation that the Subaru Pistons have been known to break ringlands and some of the 2.0l 02-05 wrx engines will spin a bearing now and then. BUT this is true for any vehicle that you tune improperly. Un-experienced tuners can destroy perfectly good engines in the name of more power.

What are your power goals? Drive style?

As for the mods you chose... Thumbs up! That's a great way to start and make the car feel a little more personal. The air oil separator helps keep combustion numbers in the green obviously by eliminating the oil/fuel mixture.

Unfortunately yes, by altering the ecm you can void your power train warranty is some cases, but I have found that it truly depends on the quality of work and what Subaru determines to be the overall cause of any engine component failure. It can vary from rep to rep.

I would love to get you some quotes on the parts you are looking for. You can call us or email and we will take care of your part needs! Sound like you are doing the right thing by asking questions and this forum has a ton of knowledgeable users.
(Don't let anyone over complicate it).

Make sure you at least email me your power goals even though it may be a long way from now until your warranty is up. There are soooo many different angles to each goal and the good news is that you have nothing but time.

Sent from the hands of 301BOOSTED.
We thank you for your commitment!
PERFORMANCE PARTS & TUNING
Email or Call for service!
(E) Info@301boosted.com
(P)301-500-0632

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=5623]STeye[/MENTION] Tom's a great guy and will treat you like royalty. ?

STeye

Just sent you an email Tom [MENTION=5626]301BOOSTED.COM[/MENTION]. Thanks for the heads up [MENTION=1]IGOTASTi.COM[/MENTION]

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=5623]STeye[/MENTION] anytime friend.