Shift Knob Infoo

BoxerRumbleSTi

So my friend has a lathe and is making shift knobs. Asked me what the threads were in the subarus. So I did some research and did a write up since I was researching.
General Shift Knob Thread Fitments:

• Subaru manual = M12x1.25
  • Subaru Automatic = M10x1.25

Subaru Shift Knob Car Fitments:

• 5-speed (WRX, RS, Forested, Legacy, etc): The shift knob must have the M12x1.25 thread inside. The shift knob can be for the STi and it will still work. The best type to get is one specifically designed to fit the WRX by having a boot lip on the bottom. The boot lip allows the shift boot to clip onto the knob so it doesn't dangle in the air.

• http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686647#6 Speed (STi & LGT Spec-B): The knob must be M12x1.25 threaded inside. The shift knob MUST have a counterbore on the bottom to allow for the Reverse Ring to slide into the knob. If the knob is just drilled out and threaded (without a counterbore), it may interfere with the reverse ring, not allowing it to pull up all the way. Or, the knob will just sit atop the shift lever, adding unnecessary height to the shifter. Also, many WRX knobs have a deep clearance hole drilled in them, so they won't even screw onto the STi shift lever.

• Automatic 4EAT (Impreza, Forester, Legacy, etc): All automatichttp://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1686647# knobs that are unscrewable must have an M10x1.25 internal thread. The lever is just a plain threaded rod, so basically any knob with this thread should fit onto it. Clearance must be designed into the knob so it doesn't touch the console (only if it is very tall).

Stock Subaru Shift Knob Info:

2002-2007 Impreza RS & WRX 5-speed:
35022AC030.jpg

Material: Black leather, plastic threading
Height: 3.0" (not including boot lip)
Hole depth: 2.65"
Diameter: Oval of 1.8"x2.0"
Weight: 94 grams
Imprinted shift pattern

2002-2007 Impreza 2.5i 4EAT:
StockImpreza25i.jpg

Material: Black leather, plastic silver cap on bottom
Height: 5.2"
Hole Depth: 4.75"
Weight: ~100 grams?

2004 Impreza STi 6-speed:

Material: Black leather, red stitching, plastic threading, all black
Height: 2.3" ?
Hole Depth: 1.6"
Reverse ring recess: Yes
Weight: 69 grams

2005 Impreza STi 6-speed:
StockSTi.JPG

Material: Black leather, red stitching, plastic threading, clear plastic cap, colored shift pattern
Height: 2.5"
Weight: 69 grams

2006-2007 Impreza STi 6-speed:
StockSTi.JPG

Material: Black leather, red stitching, plastic threading, clear plastic cap, colored shift pattern
Height: 2.5"
Weight: ~180 grams??

2004-2007 Legacy 2.5GT 5-speed:

StockLegacyGTmanual.JPG

Material: Black leather, plastic cap with silver shift pattern

2004-2007 Legacy 2.5i 5-speed:
StockLegacyManual.JPG

Material: Black leather, imprinted shift pattern

2004-2007 Legacy GT 4EAT:
StockLegacyGTauto.JPG

Material: Black leather, brown wood grain center, silver cap on bottom

2004-2007 Legacy 2.5GT Spec-B 6-speed:
(identical to 2005+ STi shift knob)

2004-2007 Forester 4EAT:
StockForester.JPG

Material: Black leather, plastic silver cap on bottom
Height: 5.2"
Hole Depth: 4.75"
Weight: ~100 grams?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nice write up dude! I will never be wanting for shift knob info again. Takes all the guess work out of knob selection.

I'll make it a sticky once others have a chance to comment.

BoxerRumbleSTi

Sweet. Yeah like I was sayin, my buddy has a lathe and been doing some knobs. Just got done powder coating one of them. He had messaged me because in MY area Im like the subie guru. He was like dude, you know the threads for a subaru. Then I figured "hell, why not do a write up because I might need this if I need to fix my Kartboy knob since its stripped" haha. Then if anyone else needs it, then its here.