SirMyztiq's Selena

fallenone121

On Vacation
What size subs will you probably be going with? 10" just to add a bit while not taking up a large amount of trunk space? What size amp will you go for to the subs? I have two 12" kicker competition subs in my trunk on a kicker 750w single channel amp. Had the same gear in a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula but now its a little bit too much for a subaru unless I turn down the subs.

SirMyztiq

What size subs will you probably be going with? 10" just to add a bit while not taking up a large amount of trunk space? What size amp will you go for to the subs? I have two 12" kicker competition subs in my trunk on a kicker 750w single channel amp. Had the same gear in a 1994 Pontiac Firebird Formula but now its a little bit too much for a subaru unless I turn down the subs.

I think one 10" will be good enough. I met a guy yesterday at the COBB First Thursday meet that had one sub and it sounded awesome.

I'm not much of a car audio guru so I don't know how amps and speakers and...wires...and stuff all work. I can pick a sub, but then what? How do I determine what works with that sub?!

fallenone121

On Vacation
Amp size largely depends on the range of wattage for the sub.

Wiring gauge for the power, ground, and sound would depend on wire length. How far will you be running it? How much will you be putting through it? The better gauge wires will cost more typically per foot.

You wont lose out for going with a better gauge from the stereo to the amp.

Here is a link that will help with power/ground wire...

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/...page/Car-Audio-Wiring_Power-Wire_Speaker-Wire

A single amp like a 10" would likely not require much power...maybe 300w, though that depends largely on your sub's specs...

300w at 12' of length suggests 10g for power and ground. 6$ a 5 ft stretch for that. 18$ for power leaving you 3 ft extra for your ground.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Go to my garage and look at my set up. :). It Rocks.

fallenone121

On Vacation
Another thought you might want to consider is will you want to put amp power to your speakers to further boost the sound output from your head unit.

You could readily get at 5 channel amp where four channels power the door speakers and the fifth channel powers the sub.

SirMyztiq

I haven't updated this in a while.

I ended up going for a 12 inch subwoofer(RockFord Fosgate) although I really wanted the Alpine 10" but found 800 dollars for a speaker a little pricey. Plus the shop that was going to do the install cut me a deal for the 12 inch.

The only drawback, b/c there is no drawback to basshumping my ears, is the box I got for it. It's the typical cheap box that takes up way too much space and sits loose in my trunk. Needless to say, the carpet in my trunk moves around and it's just a cluttered mess. My next move is to buy one of those custom fit boxes I've seen around. I believe Audio Integrations or some vendor has these. Pricey though.

Anyways, to catch this journal up, I was involved in a minor accident a couple of months ago. I was turning left on a straight/or-left only lane, the guy to my left thought he was in the lane I was in so he tried to go straight and got me right in between my doors. It was obviously his fault, but no police report was filed and he told his insurance company a phony story(said he was coming from NORTH rather than SOUTH and therefore they chose to believe him) and I didn't get my deductible refunded. But I got tired of waiting for it so I bit the bullet on the deductible and currently she is at the shop.

I got some Defi gauges, ATI pod and sensors in order to start doing SOMETHING to her other than mechanical upkeep. Which has been pretty much the extent of my mods. She is Stage II, but I haven't got a chance to do anything more to her since I have spent a great deal getting her back in shape since the previous owner obviously thought it would be alright to just "take her to stock" and do a shitty job at doing so. Anyways, so I got the BF 60mm gauges, Exhaust Temp, Boost and Oil temp where the gauges I went for. They are the most popular ones from my research so I went for those.

I also got some CS side skirts and rear lip aprons. I've always loved the look. I'm also buying some new tires. I settled for the Star Spec 235-45-17's. It turns out that the tires on my car at the moment are not even the same brand. The two front ones are "Sunew" which you can read about their history here: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Sunew/YS618.htm

And yes, they are as bad as those reviews sound. These things have no grip and are dangerous. There is no reason why my car should lose grip on the front when on a high way overpass at 65MPH. No reason whatsoever. And the ones in the back? Admirals. Never bothered to research that brand, but I'm sure they are just as bad.

I also got the Gates Timing Belt Kit waiting for an install, a new fuel filter waiting for an install and I also got a sweet Blox 490 shift knob(Gold) waiting for an install. So, hopefully this is the beginning of putting a machine out on the street that has a little more balls to her.

However, my brakes have been squealing recently, so, that might be a sign that some new brake pads and rotors are in order.