Small Battery Kits and Battery Relocation Options

icudruln

I plan on replacing the battery when I start working on the car, and I've considered the lightweight battery option for some time now. I've seen many people piece together kits, and stumble cross this from AMS:

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/AMS-Subaru-WRX/STI-Small-battery-kit.html

CCA and the weight of the battery are what drew me to their battery. I've emailed AMS to see if they'll share who makes their "rebadged" battery; to me, it sounds like Odyssey due to being able to lay down on the baterrie's side. This kit allows the use of the stock battery location and tie down positions, making it a very straightforward install.

The other option is a trunk mounted battery. I've seen them on a few cars, but am unsure if I really want to go through with running all the wiring, and having to install an external kill switch to have the car be allowed out on a track. In regards to the trunk mounted battery, there are a few questions: the main one being where can you find a vented battery box that you can bolt down that houses a small battery?

Also, in regards to the trunk mounted battery, to be track/SCCA compliable, wouldn't an external kill switch be required that shuts of the car (i.e. not just the battery)?

Any tips or suggestions?

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Jordan what does the terminal conversion look like? I'm looking to go to this setup also.

icudruln

Jordan,

What do you recommend in terms of securing the Odyssey battery you offer? Does it use the factory battery location and mounting positions?

icudruln

For those who are interested:

PC 680 Specs:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
17 amp hours
Short circuit current over 1800A
25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
Length 7 1/16"
Width 3"
Height 6 9/16"
Weighs less than 15 lbs

Odyssey design:

2 year full warranty
Rugged Drycell sealed design
Military grade
Vibration resistant
60% more starting power
Deep discharge reserve power
2 year storage life
8-12 year design life
Can be mounted flat or upright

icudruln

Question for clarification in regards to Cold Cranking Amps on the PC680:

In terms of comparing it to other manufacturers' CCA's, would the PC680 be compared as being rated at 680 CCA?

You're running E85 right?.... Don't you need to crank for a while to start the car when its cold? I wouldn't dare use a smaller battery.

If I'm able to have my tune tweaked so that cold starts aren't an issue I plan on getting a Deka ETX18L. I had a small ETX14L before I switched to E85and it was the biggest PITA. The damn thing would die if the car wasn't started every day. The car would run at like 11 volts some times when the lights were on.:lol:

Last edited:

icudruln

You're running E85 right?.... Don't you need to crank for a while to start the car when its cold? I wouldn't dare use a smaller battery.

If I'm able to have my tune tweaked so that cold starts aren't an issue I plan on getting a Deka ETX18L. I had a small ETX14L before I switched to E85and it was the biggest PITA. The damn thing would die if the car wasn't started every day. The car would run at like 11 volts some times when the lights were on.:lol:

I refuse to drive the car in winter temps or conditions. But as of now it doesn't matter since it's still sitting. :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I need a battery for my STi. I want a small one. What one should I buy? I want a whole kit to make the change over from big to small.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I guess no one loves me to help me. :(

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Does it use stock mounting to hold it in or is there a special tray I need?