STI Handling (vs my old MINI)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My old car was an 02 MINI Cooper S with a few light mods. The only suspension mod was a rear swaybar. Well then I bought my STI, and was intoxicated by the power, so I didnt really notice the suspension as much at first. Since then I've put on some nice stiff coilovers and done swaybars and I was pretty happy with how it handled.

When I last drove my MINI, after a year of it just sitting in a garage, I was shocked at how well it handled! Totally different than the STI. Way more responsive, to the point of almost being twitchy in comparison...but in a good way. The STI doesnt feel close to that tossable even with overly stiff springs and the shocks set to full stiff rebound and compression! I think the term "go kart handling" has been over used in terms of the MINI, but it's true. As soon as you give a steering input, the car MOVES that way.

Let me try to illustrate my point with an example. With the MINI, on the highway, if you wiggled the steering wheel a bit (L/R/L), the car would dart to the left side of the lane, right side of the lane, and back to center. With the STI, i feel that the same input just causes the whole car to undulate, but not actually move around in the lane.

I know the STI is ~500 lbs heavier, but that's clearly not the whole problem.

So how do I get my STI to give me the same grins as the MINI did? Is it suspension bushings (if so, which ones). Is it the steering bushings? Which bushings will get me closest to my "go kart" desires?

Edit:
For reference, my setup with these handling woes is currently: coilovers based on the Koni 8611 shock. Springs that are honestly too stiff for DD duties. Camber plates all around. 24mm sways front/rear. 33k miles 07.

Last edited:

Paul.c

Rather than adding bushings or changing out your springs I would suggest doing some auto-x or track days. Interstate driving is not where these cars shine. I made the opposite transition as you, I went from an '08 STi to a 2011 Mini S. I gravitated to the Mini because it is a car that is geared towards handling and 'flick-ability' from the get go. Not saying that the STi doesn't have excellent handling but it does take getting used to. Getting the car on a course of any kind will really show you it's strengths and weaknesses. The STi is going to have slower inputs because the wheelbase is so much longer and it does have over 800lbs of weight over the Mini.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Done track (no auto-x) in the STI. Did both in the MINI. My MINI was fully loaded with sunroof, etc... and my STI has gone on a diet so i think the differential is more like 500 lbs (should be doing a corner weighting soon). The STI definitely has more grip, but far less immediacy on the handling front.

Vermont

Easy! Due to the boxer engine the STi does not have a straight though steering rack. It kinda meanders around and then finally finds its way to the wheels. this means you not only have a numb feeling from the steering wheel but also the import is not as direct and some times feels as if their is delay. This inspires less confidence in the driver and causes the driver often times to back it off long before the limit, or due to a numb feeling (amateurs) tend to over estimate the grip and wreck. The mini on the other hand has a traditional steering rack system so you get that direct feeling, then add on the fact that it is a smaller car weighing less and is designed for quick reaction and darting movements. The STI was designed for rally and track days (along with DD use of course). You can feel this on the track where the power is always there and the steering while some what numb just takes getting used to. It is a completely different thing to drive then say your mini or any other car. Me I love to compare it to my rear wheel drive 1985 Celica GT. I have a third of the power and a 1/5th of the grip (if that) and I still have more confidence and more fun in the corners than my STI even when it feels like the door handles are scraping the ground from body roll (I also could car less if I wreck but that is another issue).

Vermont

Vermont it sounds liike your "confidence" is on the verge of stupidity.

I keed I keed :lol:

Lol it's true though... I have no qualms about letting the back end step out while doing 60 on an off ramp.... The STI on the other hand? I usually drive under the speed limit in it... Just ask holy... while we were tuning my car he was like "now just give it some regular driving" 10 min later: Holy again "Ummm you know you can give it more gas, there is no need to granny it right any more". Me: "ummm but this is how I drive it.... :( ". Then we hop in the Celica to go for dinner and I am doing 15 over the speed limit in the snow and sliding around every turn.... See in the Celica I figure I will die no matter what type of accident and no matter what speed, since it had a 2 star crash rating back in the 80s, and that was before the rust and offroading. So why not haul ass in it. I won't have to deal with the repercussions of wrecking it, as I will be dead, thus not my problem.... :D