Subaru USA's New 2015 BRZ Series Blue with STI Parts has a Placebo Effect?.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
THURSDAY, MAY 29, 2014 CATEGORIES: NEW CARS, SUBARU, SUBARU BRZ, SUBARU STI |

Straight off the bat, let us tell you that this new blue pill…err…we mean edition with STI parts offered by Subaru USA doesn't bring any horsepower changes to the lightly updated 2015 BRZ, only some cosmetic and aerodynamic improvements.
Keeping the same 200-horsepower 2.0-liter flat four as the regular models, the 2015 BRZ Series.Blue gets a functional aerodynamic kit from STI containing black front, side, and side-rear under spoilers, that are said to contribute to additional front downforce, while new underbody panels reduce the car's coefficient of drag (Cd) from 0.28 to 0.27.

A new set of black-painted STI 17-inch wheels behind which are new red-finish brake calipers round out the look – the larger stainless steel exhaust tips and a shark fin antenna are standard on all 2015 BRZs.

Inside, the Series.Blue gets a two-tone blue and black leather and Alcantara seats with blue stitching accents that also appear on the door panels, black leather-wrapped steering wheel, as well as the shift lever boot and leather-wrapped parking brake lever. There's also a simulated carbon fiber center dash and a red-illuminated engine start / stop button with an STI logo.

The new BRZ Series.Blue will be offered in 500 units finished in WR Blue Pearl and 500 in Crystal White Pearl, with sales to start in July. Pricing for the special edition is set at $29,490 with a destination charge of $795, while the regular 2015MY begins at $25,695 (+$795).

By John Halas

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Lol. No suspension. Tsk tsk tsk.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Kinda sounds like subaru is making sti like Nissan does nismo. BMW does the same with offering M sport items on their regular cars.
Dunno if this is a good or bad thing but it does make one wonder what is up for the future of the "STi" ?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I posted something about sti being the next nismo a few months ago. Did not expect this crap of visuals. I believed performance.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I posted something about sti being the next nismo a few months ago. Did not expect this crap of visuals. I believed performance.

If it is visual things and bolt on bling, yea STi is in danger of meaning nothing more than I plunked down more money for an image.

WesternSTi

The Music Man
.....I mean, it'll be nice to look at...........That thing about STi being the next NISMO, I sincerely hope it doesn't. I used to want them to offer an STi version of more cars, but now I see that there's no way they're going to do that without making it mostly a visual thing. So keep the STi synonymous with the WRX. If they ever up the power on the BRZ or, you know, put a turbo on it at least, I would hope they would make up another name for it. I want the name STi to mean something....unlike NISMO, who recently decided that an automatic transmission was worthy of a car with the name Nismo on it with the 370Z. Furthermore, they've whored themselves out to be an appearance package on most of the current Nissans: The Sentra, The Juke, 370Z, hell it might be 3/4 of their line-up. They put up a picture on Facebook of the new 2014 or 2015, can't remember which, 370Z NISMO, and then on the interior, they choose to use the automatic transmission to show all of their fans. Big mistake. The entire comment section was a war of who could criticize them harder and come up with the most compelling argument of why they sucked for doing it, and who could be the most clever. Anyway, I'm rambling. In conclusion, I hope they stick the STi name on the WRX, and that's it. Nothing else...for exactly that reason.

Alter3go

If they added a turbo to it it'll be the same price of an actual STI which makes it more pricey then the WRX which Subaru doesn't want to do I'm sure and some sucka will pay 5 grand for aero pieces to be added to a new car. Subaru sucks evo for life(I've never owned an evo)...huh what?! Lol jk but kind of not for this article lol

WesternSTi

The Music Man
I would hope that maybe they'd keep it around the WRX range. I just hope they keep new STi's around the same price for at least 3-4 more years.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Brz + turbo = sti price range is accurate. It would be an "sti" product. It wouldnt be cheap. But an sti emblem backed up by performance is a completely different monster. For example:

Levels of impreza:
-impreza
-wrx
-sti

There are 3 levels of performance per se.

Levels of brz (hypothetical)
-brz
-brz sti

There would only be two models. The base FA thats NA and the sti FA-T with a turbo that would hopefully put out close to 300hp 300tq.

If they would give the brz a real sti overhaul, i would justify 35k for it. The brz is amazing as it is now. Can you imagine with a complete redo from ground up? Hell of a performance increase!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well i would hope it wouldnt be a direct wrx transplant with the 260~ hp. Id want them to increase it even more! :tard:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Hey i did say it was hypothetical! Thats what i would justify 35k for! A PERFORMANCE based brz! Overhauled suspension, engine, everything! Lighter and brembos! :tard: :rofl:

Alter3go

That's a 10k price increase from previous year and from WRX to STI is only a 8 grand increase I think it should be 32-33 fully loaded maybe.

It's already going to be 29k IMO is overpriced for aero pieces

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
OEM aero pieces at their finest! :tup:

32-33k would be interesting cause a base 15 stang gt is starting around there. So then it would be a hard decision!!!!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Base gt!!!! Not v6 turd! V6 turd is 24-25k starting!