Testing a new turbo coming to the market.

20140508_190315_resized.jpg20140508_190243_resized.jpg20140507_170842.jpg20140507_171113.jpg20140507_170939.jpg

We all know the IHI is kind of a turd. They have their issues but you need maintain them to a T to keep it in good shape. Since we have has -20 degree weather this entire winter in Michigan, my turbo started burning oil. About 3 quarts in 3k miles. So A LOT. I think it was due to thicker oil blowing out the gas ring. Since these housings do not have OEM rebuilt kits, I was forced to look for a used one.

I know a few people that have been making, modifying and all out building amazing turbos. (since the 70's anyways). They have done R&D for Precision, FP, made their own turbos, etc... I'm not going to release his information just yet but we have worked out an agreement for me to test one of his new turbos he is specifically designing for a VF39 replacement. He is releasing 5 turbos to a few shops and one for me.

I will post specs and pics once I have them and I receive the turbo. Hopefully the castings will be done this week and I can pick it up next week. He redesigned the housing to eliminate cracking that we all see and he made his own center cartridge that is rebuildable. He will have 2 types of turbos, one that is slightly bigger than the VF39 but still has the same response and another that is larger and capable of making the 400-450whp mark.

Hopefully I will get this thing bolted on and tuned within a few weeks and let you know how it works out. (I may need injectors and a fuel pump depending on how much it flows.)

As for price, who knows at this point. I know we talked about it a little and he said it will be lower than any new turbo or upgraded IHI ones on the market today. I should be a better replacement than having to spend the extra cash to go to a rotated mount setup to get rid of the limitations to the stock IHI setup.

I will update this when I have more information.

UPDATE:
Price $900-1100.
Flow rating, 640cfm. Power rating, 450-480hp.

The difference in spool VS the VF39 is about 300-500 rpm depending on what housing you choose, 8cm or 10cm.

Parts are delayed again for another week. (waiting on the machined inlet housings. They screwed up and machined it to the stock wheel and not the upgraded one.) BOO.

-Joe

:tup::sti:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Subbed. Interested in hearing more.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'll be really curious to hear about this one too. I've been planning (way far ahead) to get the billet wheel put in the OEM unit for some performance gains. I'll be really interested to see how it compares to that option.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
What kind of testing is actually planned? I would be interested to see what its performance is compared to the stock unit with out any tuning. Just to see what hardware alone can do. It would be interesting to compare spool, flow and boost on the same application.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
In for this one.

What kind of testing is actually planned? I would be interested to see what its performance is compared to the stock unit with out any tuning. Just to see what hardware alone can do. It would be interesting to compare spool, flow and boost on the same application.

I will be testing a direct bolt on without tune and with tune. (while logging AFRs) I want to get a dyno pull of a before and after as well to see what the WHP increase is. Im waiting on the compressor map so I can compare both new turbos to the stock. Once I have the compressor maps I will post them.

I want to do a base line comparison of spool, peak boost, and when it starts to drop off. Unfortunately I will only be testing the smaller turbo because I dont want to do any other modifications to the car.

I'll be really curious to hear about this one too. I've been planning (way far ahead) to get the billet wheel put in the OEM unit for some performance gains. I'll be really interested to see how it compares to that option.

I talked to him about attempting to fix mine and replace the wheel with something larger for a little extra. (I did this to my EVO turbo with a 18g wheel) He was against it due to the IHI housing and how sensitive the VF39 is. He has done a couple ones in the past with weird failures that led to him designing his own turbo. We will see.

Finally got this turbo in. It is an amazing piece of art. I will post pics later tonight when I get home. My phone was dead yesterday when I picked it up. I will post compare pics and measurements side by side. When I do the swap. Im waiting on the silicone inlet tube I ordered. Should be here Friday.

He gave me the upgraded wheel for free since it was such a long wait time. Since my turbo is shot, I wont be able to have a dyno of the old v/s new. Im sure there are plenty of dyno pulls with bolt ons and a stock turbo to compare to.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sick man!!! Cant wait to see!!!! :bigtup:

Nice I'm excited to see what numbers you put down and how responsive it is since I'm always researching what turbo i will replace mine with when it decides to die.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
^Ditto on the results!

Any idea how much these will be priced around?

^Ditto on the results!

Any idea how much these will be priced around?

900-1000 I'm guessing. That's still cheaper than most of the aftermarket companies using a stock location turbo (and this one wont crack). I maybe able to swing a better deal for a group buy.

Even if its $900, you can still sell your stock good VF39 for $500-600 so you only have 3-4 hundred in an upgraded turbo. You will need an oil line kit if you don't already have one. Any company I have priced turbos at are over $1200 plus gaskets, hardware and the oil line.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome! Then i expect amazing results from your testing! :lol:

What are you going to do as far as headers go?

Awesome! Then i expect amazing results from your testing! :lol:

What are you going to do as far as headers go?

I might do before and after header results. But that wont be for a while. I need struts first :|. I may buy a used set off of nasioc that is a good quality product.