The car before the STi and I loved it, was my first nice car

icudruln

My first car was a 1991 Chevy Lumina. I was proud to say I bought my first car myself, albeit for $100. :lol: The outside wasn't bad, as it was always garaged, but the interior was beat to shit and smelled like a chimney.

chevrolet-lumina-6.jpg

I started saving some cash, and combined what I made, what I had banked since I was a kid, and what I sold the Lumina for for a 2005 Dodge Stratus SXT coupe. It wasn't anything crazy fast, even after I modded it quite a bit, but it got me into the car scene. the SXT was equipped with the 4G64, which mates up to Evo heads. After having the car on an I/H/E/E85 setup, plus suspension, brakes, audio, all kinds of shit. I was shooting big, until the car was totaled in the snow by a bitch who ran a red light. If that didn't happen, I would've literally bought the Evo head and associated parts within that week, and had one hell of a sleeper.

n628395094_739733_1311.jpg

While I had the Stratus, and learning about the tuner scene, etc, I purchased a 1991 Nissan 240sx. It was beat to shit on the outside, but had some nice parts and low miles. The ugly ass teal green was a turnoff, but it ran. The guy sold it to me for $300, since it needed A LOT of body work, and the stock KA didn't run. Little did he know, I just replaced the spark plugs and it ran perfect. Only had 105,000 miles on it before I sold it to a buddy who works at a body shop. Being 17, and having a newer car, plus a project car didn't sit too well with the parents, and I didn't want to put the time and effort into a beaten up 240. Sold it for $1,200 to my buddy after fixing up a few things and replacing a few body panels.

Not mine, but you get the idea
91hatch%202.JPG

Fast forward to January 2009, and the Stratus gets totaled in the snow by the dumbass woman driver. I knew it right away, as coolant was all over the place, all kinds of front end body metal was pushed back and bent. I'm pissed at how much time and effort I put into the car, only to see it totaled by a girl who, "thought her light changed color". At the time, I'm just under 19, have $3,000 in the bank, and end up getting a little over $7,000 from the insurance company for the wrecked Stratus after paying the rest of the car off. When you put $10,000 into a 19 year old's hands, eyes are open everywhere. With the Dodge being a Mitsubishi based car, I immediately started looking for a 2006 Evo IX SE.

435570951_fd90deaa63.jpg

I found a IX SE in black with 22,000 miles on it for 20,000. I drove it, and the car was beat to shit; it seemed liked it was crashed pretty hard, as it pulled like a mofo to the right. After being super dissapointed, I couldn't find another Evo for a good price that was clean. I began looking at buying another 240, or maybe finding an EK hatch. 240's were overpriced, and not many around, and I couldn't find an EK. Then, I began looking at B5 Audi S4's, which were all maintained to shit, and high mileage.

I hopped on Auto Trader, and then began looking at STi's. At first, I liked the 06-07 front end, so I went and checked out and drove an 07 OBP STi. Uber low miles, bone stock, price was a little high, but I was interested. I'm getting financed on the 07, when another sales guy sells the car to some asshole who came in after me. They try talking me into a Ford Mustang GT (I hate Fords), and offered them $20k for a 2008 and told them to fuck themselves. :lol: I left there, pissed off, disappointed, wanted to go home and eat like a fat kid. But I decided against it, and jumped on the computer. I found my love, checked it out in person, put down a deposit to hold it, and came and got it. Never looked back. :D

Nowadays, along the STi sits my daily...a 1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon. This thing is a beast. 210,000 miles and running strong. Blew a head gasket a while ago, but nothing major. It fits plenty of tools and parts in the back. Seats 5 people comfortably. Passes trucks in the snow. I plan on keeping it for a while...really want a turbo diesel for a daily.

Last edited:

icudruln

Sucks about the Evo, did Carfax come up clean on it when you bought it?

Said it was in a front end accident and repaired about 6 months before I found the car at the dealership. It pulled slightly to the right driving normally, and it flew off the road to the right when you got on the brakes. I told the guys at Quality Mitsubishi to just check it out, and we could go from there. I wanted the car bad, and told them we could even potentially split cost on repairs by marking my half off their asking price. They didn't bother getting around to it, and I needed a car. I found the Evo on a Friday night, bought the STi the following Wednesday. The Evo only had an Exhaust and a shift knob. Even had a dyno graph in the glove box stating the CBE tune. I was pissed at Mitsu about the whole ordeal.

FL4TTURBO

l_6dabf1fad1977f4337f9000c5f49fd42.jpg

my talon tsi ... it was evo6 swaped caged dms 40 suspension td06 ebay radiator custom mandrel tbe exhaust dsm link and blah blah blah ... to tell you the truth the only good thing it had was its wide stance and 50/50 torque split... i still feel the 4g63 is the biggest joke on the planet though... oh well i ran it on pikes peak a few years ago and only got up to the tree line around bottom less pit before the bottom end blew up again for the third time

lmfao :rofl: dont say that too loud on some forums (to include IWSTI and nabisco) it seems to me the only thing they mostly improved in the later 4G's before the 4B motor came out was the less crank walk issues from the 8-9's. other than that, yes it can make fantastic power but its still VERY able and willing to blow up

FL4TTURBO

Tbh, I agree and disagree at the same time. There's plenty of things that aren't done right in the build process of most EJs, and not enough tuned ones out on the road. I do think the HO block layout is nice, just that the peripherals are all wrong. Yes, people have made 1500 WHP with a 4G63 block, but give me 200k and I can do the same thing with a subie block. And yes, that's about how much they spent. Billet aluminum block and titanium internals, custom ti-al turbo, etc.

The biggest disadvantage subarus currently have isn't the inefficient layout, the glass pistons or anything else. It's the lack of aftermarket support. I think subie tuning is growing with the numbers of GR bodies I'm seeing just local here. Seems like the styling changes caused more to be made, and once they are an old body, we'll see some more tuners.

i keep saying the same thing. maybe if turbo EJ motors were available here 20 yrs ago there'd be a couple more than one or two STi's here in the 7 second range.

FL4TTURBO

my contribution

100_0658.jpg

100_0650.jpg

not my first car but my first nice car. 00' eclipse GT (yes the first v6/non-turbo save the jokes if you have any) with greddy exhaust, 18" wheels, CF hood, projector beam headlights with HID's (which i should've aimed never did correctly) and TEIN springs (never again). bought this cash in early 06' (thank you iraq and uncle sam) and then later traded it for the 05' wrx i drive now. i really miss this car. was fun to drive, was MINE and also would make a nice DD if i still had it. it was just horrible in the snow.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice, I always like the Eclipse. I just wish they redid them with the 2.0 turbo like the 90's ones.

STimedic

My first car that ran was my Dad's former 92 Exploder XLT. Bought it for $1500 on my birthday in 2001, had it for a couple months before the t-stat locked up and blew coolant everywhere. Fixed that, then the transmission started going. I got the $2k repair estimate a week before I shipped off to basic training. Following AIT, I came home to a $13k settlement from an accident in '99 and put $4k down on a brand new 2003 Neon SXT auto. While in Iraq 04 to 05, I dumped close to $12k into her. Coilovers, in/ex, Kombat body kit (properly fitted n painted), Corbeau seats, upgraded component speakers (I hate jackasses who insist upon sharing their shitty crap music with me from 5 cars back, and make it a point to deafen the asswipes who pull up next to me) and stereo and the best mod I ever did to it, a manual swap to a close-ratio ACR transmission with a phantom grip and DSS axles.I also bought a B&M sts which a buddy n I promptly hacked down 2". It was a smoke machine, as everywhere I went I left tread. I also went through three sets of tires in the 8mths I was back before I traded it in on my WRX. Looking back, I wish I had kept it as a DD and bought the WRX, but I got my down payment from trading in. It was like having a go-kart, a 14.5sec, intersection-smokeout go-kart. But I'm happy with my decision as my WRX is truly MY car. Pics of it: www.cardomain.com/ride/693146/2003-dodge-neon