The Evo X is back!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We thought this is some really big news and wanted to share it.

Matthew Jones26 March 2014
The Evo X is back!

Mitsubishi revives the Evo X for its 40th birthday, boosting power to 440bhp…

image.jpg

Related content

Mitsubishi Evolution
Detroit show: Mitsubishi Evo X concept
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution

You're currently looking at a brand new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, revived to celebrate the company's 40th anniversary in Europe. Which is considerably better than the Mirage-shaped cake we predicted.

And the legendary Evo X's been tweaked to produce even more power than the old one. Special edition FQ-440 MR features include an ECU re-map, tubular Janspeed exhaust manifold, swollen HKS turbo, bigger intercooler - all help boost the turbocharged 2.0-litre four-pot to a huge 440bhp and 412lb ft. Still no manual ‘box though - it feeds all four wheels through a six-speed dual-clutch auto.

But it's not just an exercise in power hoikery. It gets lowered suspension front and rear (that'll save most owners their first job...), Alcon brakes all-round with six-piston calipers up front, new 18-inch BBS rims, Xenon lamps, and what the company calls ‘motorsport silicone' window wipers. The mind reels...

Its innards have been given a little nip-tuck, too. It's sprouted a set of Recaro bucket seats, an eight-speaker audio setup, seven-inch sat-nav-equipped screen, Bluetooth with music streaming and climate control.

Mitsubishi's also supplying all FQ-440 MR specials with a data recorder. It logs things like driving style, performance, vehicle diagnostics, and your location - if you go too mad, Mitsubishi says you'll void the warranty. Though we always thought going mad was what the Evo was built for. Well, that and outrunning tanks.

Want one? You best get saving. It'll cost a huge ?50,000 for one of the 40 examples arriving in Blighty. And don't forget servicing costs - you'll need an oil change after the first 1,000 miles, then another service every six months or 4,500 miles. Yeah, perhaps we'll just get a new WRX STI instead...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I was reading this on carbuzz. Decided to not care cause usdm always gets shafted.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
So want!

Mad we never get the goodies over here.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
It might make the big 3 mad and we don't want that.

Sure we do. Maybe then they'll pull their heads out of their asses and build something I want to drive.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You mean to tell me that you dont want to drive a chevy cruze?!?

What about the new vette? I like them!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No.

But ends can be met.

Wouldnt be an ideal car either. But i still like them.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yep. If I had the money to buy a new Vette, I'd probably opt for a NISMO GT-R.

...or a $40k STi with $40k into it. :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
New vette or a C5 has been on my radar. Not the c6 or 7. Don't like 'em.

Mustang is/was but they are waaaay too common here so that keeps me from them.

Cadillac CTS-v but the price point is not so attractive considering other options there. Plus, I don't think it would handle like I would want it to.

Otherwise the big three has nothing I really like and hasn't for some time. Camaro and challenger are just hideous to me and who wants a charger cop car? Or a flaky SHO.

quality_sound

New vette or a C5 has been on my radar. Not the c6 or 7. Don't like 'em.

Mustang is/was but they are waaaay too common here so that keeps me from them.

Cadillac CTS-v but the price point is not so attractive considering other options there. Plus, I don't think it would handle like I would want it to.

Otherwise the big three has nothing I really like and hasn't for some time. Camaro and challenger are just hideous to me and who wants a charger cop car? Or a flaky SHO.

The CTS-V will destroy a C5 but I think a Mustang may outperform it. Not sure though since the CTS-V was a monster on the Ring but a Mustang GT will stay on an M3's ass all day.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The CTS-V will destroy a C5 but I think a Mustang may outperform it. Not sure though since the CTS-V was a monster on the Ring but a Mustang GT will stay on an M3's ass all day.

Probably so. I just like the C5 looks and they can be had for cheap then pour money in for mods and you've got vary capable car.
Mustang is the real deal now. Love to see how the 2015 is gonna do with its new rear end and suspension.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You guys are getting off topic! But anyways, most domestics = 2 tons for a 2-door? and an extra couple hundred pounds for a 4-door (looking at you, behemoth that is the SHO) No thanks. They're all HUGE. I live in a city man, give me something designed by the Japanese to fit in an actual parking space. I parallel park or go to places where property values are a premium and they make spots tiny. I want light and small. And performance, but that's a given.

Back on topic:

That EVO looks pretty sweet. Alcon brakes. 220hp/L, yum. From the factory no less. Lowered, with what I understand is a slightly less rally-bred suspension (we all know about our camber curves and lowering) should make it a beast on-road. I dont take mine offroad so I'd rather have a tarmac suspension anyways. Recaros sound nice, and since they're designed for a non-domestic market they probably would fit a sub 200-pounder like me pretty damn well. I do like my manual, but a dual-clutch auto has its perks. Perfect downshifts, never a missed shift. Perfect for a track day.

At something like $80k, I'll pass, but i do dig the concept.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
That price is extreme. 40k base and then for less than 15k you could probably have something equal or better.

quality_sound

Probably so. I just like the C5 looks and they can be had for cheap then pour money in for mods and you've got vary capable car.
Mustang is the real deal now. Love to see how the 2015 is gonna do with its new rear end and suspension.

I actually prefer the C6 and C7 but then again, I never liked the pop-up lights or overall build quality of the 5. The drivetrain is still excellent, however.

If I was looking at a C5, I've get an older Viper instead. ;-)

I think the new IRS will be interesting. If the current GT can keep up with an M3 (at least under 130 anyway) with a live axle the IRS, if done right will help a lot. Then again, the Cobras had IRS and they sucked.