Thinking about selling my car

Paul.c

So, lately I have been debating on whether or not I should sell my car. The reason for selling would be to save money on both gas and monthly car payments. Right now things are tight financially and I am looking for ways to free up as much money as I can each month. I am considering multiple different vehicles. A truck would be very useful for me since I mountain bike a lot. The gas mileage wouldn't be any better but it also wouldn't be worse. I have also thought about a mini cooper s. It is a small car but I can buy a bike rack and save a lot in gas money, plus it can still be auto crossed which a truck cannot. Also last but certainly not least is a Subaru Forester x or XT. They can be found for pretty cheap and I can stay in the Subaru game and therefore still be a member in this great community. I have seen an XT autocrossed but not sure that I would. Honestly I like autocrossing but have only done 2 events this year due to gas costs alone. I didn't even renew my membership because of the costs associated. So if anyone has any advise for me please chime in. I am in no way happy about this but honestly feel it is what is best for my family.

Z1107

If you decide to get a truck I would strongly recommend a Tacoma. I traded mine in to lower my payments but it was brand new. I got 26 mpg hwy and 18-20 city. Reliable as hell and they come standard with alot of features.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Sell your STi and maybe get a beater while you figure out what you want. That way you don't have to make a rush decision.

Paul.c

I am not going to rush into anything. That is what I did with my STi and have regretted everything about that transaction except for the car that I got out of it. There is another option. I have been thinking about the factory five type 818 kit. I could buy a used WRX and have that in the stable for when the time comes that I can buy the factory five kit. And if i never buy the FF kit then that's fine because I would still have a WRX. The only problem is that I am not too fond of the WRX of past. It's just not my cup o' tea if you know what I mean. But whatever I do I will not be rushing into anything.

Paul.c

I don't know. Maybe I just need to look at some. I started this thread for advise and pointers and already I have seen my thoughts change. however, I am a Mini Cooper fan and would like to own one for myself (my wife has a non s Clubman), so this is what I am leaning toward, especially since the MPG is so freaking good.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well whatever you decide your always welcome here.

I have an answer to your problems that will get you another $500 a month cash, a garage filled with tools, and a second STI around the house.

Put an AC in your garage and let me convert it into my new home. I can totally live in an area the size of your garage with plenty of room to also park my car. It would be awesome.

My lease is up in December. :tup:

I'm going to text you some more ideas.

bugeye_fever

I've been in and out of your same decision for some time. One hard and fast rule I've made for myself is, One project at a time.

I have really been looking at a compact truck as well, a toyota would be nice, but I'm open to an old beater ranger or s-10 as well. I believe that the toy would cost more. But all things being the same, it would be more reliable but more expensive to fix than either domestic.

Another route would be a very small/inexpensive motorcycle. Like a KLR or something dual sport, or an '09 TU250X suzuki, I like the classic UJM looks of it. Keep the car for bad weather and autoX. 90% of my driving is 5mi from the house to the parking lot though, and I don't have loan payments.

I feel for ya man, its a tough decision. If you don't have the means to pay cash for said beater, then your just paying more interest to somebody else which sucks. One thing to think about though(and I don't know how much you have left on the car, but once its done insurance can go down as well.

I'm actually going tomorrow to look at an '09 base Cooper for the wifey. They do seem to get pretty awesome mileage, but it's still premium, and even 91 for the base. Also they're not the most reliable thing from the research I've done. Base's are better than S's and anything after '07 seems to be better, and you could probably get a decent trade in from the sti... H Stock wooo!

I'm gonna whore/rant your thread a little, sorry in advance! Effing economy sucks!! I thought we were getting out of this recession months ago.. oh we aren't? Maybe somebody at the top should quite blowing smoke up the countries' ass and stop printing money and giving it to other countries, and handing it out to people scamming the system. Just got back from a Europe trip. Effing' Euro is blowing the dollar out of the water, and the damb GBP is even stronger...

See what happens when I think about a good dude that might have to lose his STI? Nonsense.

Paul.c

So I am adding another thing to the equation. I am probably going to start a new job in September. It will be making me slightly less money but the hours will put me and the wife on the same schedule (this is a good thing for me). The money saved from selling the STi could keep us out of trouble financially. $100.00 a month plus a ton less on gas.

As far as the reliability of the Mini, we have never had any problems with our 2009 mini Cooper clubman with 42000 miles. I think it is one of the most practical sporty cars with high mpg.

bugeye_fever

I'm glad to hear your mini is trouble free, we just picked up an 09 base hatch 6mt today! I love it. I was up late reading forums for problems and it seems like the S is still having problems but the newer non-turbo's are fairly problem free.