Tire pressures

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
OK, I have the RE-70's and I was wondering what the best setting for tire pressure is for the fronts and the rears. Thanks.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Dude my car goes in the garage for the winter build! Gonna do suspension mods to it and I'll drive my jeep or truck. The car has never seen snow, ice, salt so why start now! Also 38 in the front and 36 in the rear?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
On the RE070s.

35 front 30 rear for the street.

for autox I used 40 front 35 rear and worked it down from there if need be.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
OK I will set them that way, thanks Drew:)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Drew won't that wear my tires out quicker with 35 in the front and 30 in the rear?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
OK I set all my tires to 35 all the way around and it did make a difference. Drew why should I put the rears to 30? Seems low to me, but what the heck do I know, lol.

Fair

On Vacation
OK, I have the RE-70's and I was wondering what the best setting for tire pressure is for the fronts and the rears. Thanks.
Lots of factors will dictate what tire pressures I end up using, including:

+ Tire brand/model/construction
+ Size of tire relative to the wheel
+ Weight balance of the car (front/rear)
+ Handling of the car
+ Street or autox or track use.

Without knowing any of those variables for your car, I'll assume you meant for autocross use, that you're using stock 8" wide wheels and ~245mm tires, and the car is your STi. For a front heavy car like most Subarus end up being (60% F/40% R is common) I would ALWAYS bias the tire pressures to the front. Meaning: I'd run +5 psi on the fronts compared to the rears, at least.

+ To reduce understeer: run more front pressure or less rear pressure
+ To reduce oversteer: you shouldn't ever have a Subaru that oversteers! :D

252097163_FretS-S.jpg
202322475_akvbh-S-1.jpg

I've autocrossed in a lot of Subarus with Bridgestones and usually end up with 38-40 psi front, 32-35 psi rear. Again, if the car isn't behaving I'll adjust the bias to try to alter it.

Cheers,

Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Attachments

• 252097163_FretS-S.jpg
    252097163_FretS-S.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 67

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Terry,

isn't that exactly what I said?!

You just added bullet points and pictures. :)

OK I set all my tires to 35 all the way around and it did make a difference. Drew why should I put the rears to 30? Seems low to me, but what the heck do I know, lol.

if you look inside your door jam it's the suggested tire pressure for the rear. It will increase rear grip and the sidewall stiffness of the RE070s makes it ok. This is for the street only, a little more pressure all around works good for the stock bridgestone RE070s when autoxing.

Last edited:
Terry,

isn't that exactly what I said?!

You just added bullet points and pictures. :)

if you look inside your door jam it's the suggested tire pressure for the rear. It will increase rear grip and the sidewall stiffness of the RE070s makes it ok. This is for the street only, a little more pressure all around works good for the stock bridgestone RE070s when autoxing.

Terry's post was much prettier than yours. :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yeah I liked Terry's post much better:) Thanks for the info guys!

Fair

On Vacation
Terry's post was much prettier than yours. :lol:
I'm all about the pretty. ;)

For the street I run tire pressures as low as I can, for better ride quality. I drive pretty tame on the street, so 30-32 psi is as high as I go unless I plan on taking a back country blast through the twisties. Of course my truck has its tires at 80 psi all the time (rides like crap), but that's because we tow a 38' Gooseneck trailer behind it (80 psi is used for max load capacity); I'm too lazy to switch back to the normal 50 psi it needs for normal street use. :D

I'm off to SEMA! Pictures on Monday...

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Can wait to see them! Also thanks again for coming on board with us!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
From what they tell me it's cause the back weights less than the front and the rear tires with less air hook up better and stick to the ground better which makes sense to me. Auto-cross is over this year so I will have to wait next year to try it out.

joey.lisano

I run 40/40 on the stock wheels and tires because I like a harsh ride. There's absolutely nothing scientific behind that, and I know it's not correct for maximum performance. I just like to feel the road. :)

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy cows! 40 PSI. Wow you must like it hard in the ass, LMAO!

LikaGhst

I do 36 and 32 in my winters and JJ what do you mean it's never seen any snow!?!? It must this winter! I have a blast in the winter all the crazy drifting and figure eights LOL