Track Tires

I just purchased a set of ventus z214's for HPDE events. I have never purchased a set of race tires before and I wanted to ask what do they mean when they say I need to heat cycle the tires first? I guess in short what is the proper way to care for the tires for many track days?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Read below. :)

Heat cycling can be done by installing tires on the car and running 10 to 15 minutes on a racetrack. Start with easy laps, and build up speed as the session continues. End up running 5-10 seconds off your normal pace and be careful not to spike the tire temperatures by spinning, sliding or locking the tires.

An important step in tire heat cycling is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 hours to relax and relink the bonds between the rubber molecules. Drivers attempting to heat cycle tires in the morning for use a few hours later in the afternoon will not experience any benefits from the morning attempt at heat cycling. Heat cycling tires on Saturday means not using them again until the same time on Sunday.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow this is awesome information! This is specific to race comp tires only right?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
One thing to keep in mind, is each use is pretty much considered a heat cycle. Really sticky tires have a lifespan that's measured both in tread AND in heat cycles. So something like an F1 tire or a NASCAR tire only gets one heat cycle and is done. Other tires, like ones for competitive Auto-Xers is measured in heat cycles. After a few race weekends the tire will have lost significant grip compared to when new. Now, it'll still be a LOT stickier than a street tire, but significantly slower than a fresh tire.

That's just something to keep in mind when you're buying tires or turning laps. You may get slower each weekend.

ALSO,

Race tires are FAR less forgiving than street tires. That is to say, street tires start howling, and slipping a bit, and generally letting you know that you're pushing them too much. Race tires, on the other hand, will suddenly and dramatically lose traction.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Method One:
Just drive on the freeway. Probably better than nothing

Method Two:
Turn a parking lot into your own auto-x course and try to get heat in them that way.

Method Three (highly speculative):
Use a hairdryer or one of those worksite space heaters.
If i were going to do it, i'd get some dryer hose (super cheap) and some masking wide masking tape (to prevent sticky goo of duct tape). So i'd tape off most of the inside of the tire, to make it more of a true donut. Then to one opening i'd route the hair dryer in, and after a full loop of the tire, right before hair-dryer-input have a hole for the hot air to escape.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You better patent that third method before someone steals the idea...

I went with option two. Parking lot. I almost got out my heat gun and attempted option 3 but with my luck I would have burned down the house