VF TURBO PORTING

Since I'm investing in porting equipment I'm considering porting my VF39. What are your guys opinions on port matching the turbine exhaust housing of the turbo to the up pipe along with mildly porting the inlet side as well. I'm also looking to port the waste gate to reduce boost creep issues.

Do you guys think it's worth the effort of over researching the porting process and then porting it myself or do you think the gains aren't worth the effort?

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm sure there are gains, but I'm not familiar with the effort level. I'm also not fully aware of the risks. If you PnP too much of the housing, do you risk losing boost by increasing the gap between the compressor wheel and the housing? Most of the things I hear PnP aren't exactly high-precision parts, it's just a "make it smooth" type of thing so I'd be worried about unintended consequences of doing anything near the turbine/compressor wheels.

I'm sure there are gains, but I'm not familiar with the effort level. I'm also not fully aware of the risks. If you PnP too much of the housing, do you risk losing boost by increasing the gap between the compressor wheel and the housing? Most of the things I hear PnP aren't exactly high-precision parts, it's just a "make it smooth" type of thing so I'd be worried about unintended consequences of doing anything near the turbine/compressor wheels.
Yes from what I've researched the few companies that actually port the housing focus on matching the up pipe along with the waste gate.

The major risk I see is cracking the housing over time due to the heating and cooling process the turbo will go thru after removing some of the material. I'm probably going to only do a waste gate port if I feel comfortable doing it but I hear allot of people can mess that up as well so I'm still hesitant on even trying that.

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. (Bruce Lee)

Do any other members have feedback on this subject?

They say the billet compressor wheel is good for 25 to 30 whp on less boost with better spool up so I'm thinking this might make for a great street daily driver.

http://www.6starspeed.com/

Another one to consider. I have no experience with either, but the 6starspeed was thrown around by a very knowledgeable guy who used to be on here.
I've looked at him but other forum had a thread bashing him for taking people's turbos and cash then closing up shop on them with out refunding the money for parts or services that weren't done or shipped.

But that's just stuff I found when doing research