Water Pump Replacement?

So I've had a dealer mechanic say it's essentially a waste of money to do the typical water pump replacement that they always recommend when the timing belt is being replaced. He said that in his 10 years of Subaru maintenance he's never seen a failed water pump on a 04 and up subie.

What's your guys opinion on this?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I've never "had" to replace the water pump either but I always figured since I am in there I might as well... They are cheap so why not. Besides the one time I don't will be the one time when it does fail.

That's where I'm at but my 9 year old car has 60K miles on it so it's one of those things that I will replace if budget allows if not it will be on next timing belt replacement.

What do you guys think about the timing belt guides and gears/pulleys would you replace them at the 60k mark since it's disassembled or wait for a higher milage replacement when I do the belt in the future.

Obviously a fresh belt and oil pump are going on this time but those are the only two parts that I keep contemplating on

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You can probably wait for the pulleys... Just when you do put it all together, give them a spin and if they make any kind of noise or are not perfectly smooth, replace them. They are sealed and should last a fair amount longer than the belt does.

60k for the belt? Isn't that a bit early?

I'm the second owner of it and parked my sti when it started eating oil and had lower compression in the drivers side cylinders. I have a forged rod and piston motor sitting in a card board box that the cats have been using as a scratching post for the past 6 months so that's why I'm replacing oil pump and timing belt since it will be disassembled any ways.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'm the second owner of it and parked my sti when it started eating oil and had lower compression in the drivers side cylinders. I have a forged rod and piston motor sitting in a card board box that the cats have been using as a scratching post for the past 6 months so that's why I'm replacing oil pump and timing belt since it will be disassembled any ways.

At least the cats aren't using it for a litter box. Lol

For the pulleys i would check for slop in the bearing tolerance and and noise. my car has 125,000 and i did a belt change at 115,000 and did not have to change them or the tensioner. i dont know if they were changed before that though. I would say same for the water pump. no noise, no slop= g2g. I didnt change that either. you can tell me im taking a risk but there really isnt to much that can fail for the pump so i agree with the mechanic. your call. I keep a close eye on everything on my car and will notice if something goes on and i have the means to haul the car around if something does end up happening so im comfortable taking that risk.

For the pulleys i would check for slop in the bearing tolerance and and noise. my car has 125,000 and i did a belt change at 115,000 and did not have to change them or the tensioner. i dont know if they were changed before that though. I would say same for the water pump. no noise, no slop= g2g. I didnt change that either. you can tell me im taking a risk but there really isnt to much that can fail for the pump so i agree with the mechanic. your call. I keep a close eye on everything on my car and will notice if something goes on and i have the means to haul the car around if something does end up happening so im comfortable taking that risk.

That's pretty much my mentality I have on it as well I guess I'll find out when I pull the motor