Welcome your newest member :)

PerfectCreature

So, for awhile now I have watched the photos on Facebook and decided I should join up and participate in all the fun. Unfortunately I do not own an STI or even a WRX, but I hope too someday. I plan to poke around the forum a bit to get a good understanding of these cars, so I can get down to business when I actually am lucky enough to get one. For the time being though, I have a 2006 Eclipse GT that I have a K&N Typhoon and an HKS Hi-Power exhaust. It makes good power, but handles a little rough. I plan to install an Anti-sway bar and an upper and lower strut tower bar to tighten it up a bit. I have had it since 36,468 miles and have put about 53,000 on it so far. My warranty runs out in August of this year, so I haven't been able to do serious mods yet. I only have $6,000 left to pay off on the vehicle and then I can start to look at getting a Subaru WRX! I am on my last semester of a 4 year Criminal Justice degree, so hopefully I can catch a break and land a job right out of college! In any case, hopefully during my duration here I will be able to aquire a good WRX or maybe even an STI.... :D

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Trade the Eclipse for a Subaru muy pronto.

Seriously, welcome and enjoy your stay. Ask as many questions as you need and don't feel embarrassed, we don't hate.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You came to the right place. :welcome:

PerfectCreature

I would trade it in, but I owe almost as much as it is worth in trade in value. Even private sale of what it retails for, I would still only net about 2k. That is not enough of a down payment, and with the lack of used WRXs in my area, it is tough. Most of the used ones are prices within a few grand of a brand new one. At this point in time, I cannot pull off a $300 a month car payment, with an equally high car insurance payment. :( For the time being, the Eclipse is fast enough for what I tend to do. I can give stock WRXs a run for their money,...it would just be nice to be a stock WRX. lol!

PerfectCreature

My goal is to have one within the next few years, if everything works out good. Used ones tend to go for 20-24k and that is just silly when for a couple grand more you can have a brand new one. I could see 15-20k for used ones, given the nature of the beast, people are bound to abuse them so the prices should reflect that.... Just my opinions.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
IN my area they are few and far between so they go for a premium. I can see your point on used pricing.

PerfectCreature

Mine too, I opted for the Eclipse, because at the time I got it for 14k for a 2006. This was about 2 years ago. At that price point it was a steal. It is coming up due for a spark plug change this summer, as well as the timing belt and fluids flush. I will do the spark plugs myself, and will have to pay for the fluids flush as I don't have the tools for a flush-I will also have to pay for the timing belt, as it requires the valve lash to be adjusted and I don't have the tools for that either. No big deal though, I still have a warranty until August, so I will be set for the timing belt, should anything happen. I plan to polish it up this summer and see if I can get any bites on it at 10k. It has a $400 HKS exhaust, and a $300 K&N intake, and with the new fluids, sparks plugs and timing belt, no one should have to worry about anything major. By then I will have installed spacers in the TB, and the intake manifold to reduce air intake temperatures, so it should perform a lot better. Hopefully I can find a good deal on a WRX, even an older one, as I can always frankenstein it with a new engine from a newer model. Link to my vHoist ( Look at my car :) http://club4g.org/board/vHoist.php?do=view&gid=102288

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

Didnt we have a thread somewhere about "how much did you pay"? You might be surprised...i got my STI used for about what you're quoting used WRXes. Mine was somethine like 17,000 miles and 3 years old?

35r

Welcome ! I hope we can all be of some service to you. Theres tons of things to read up on and learn about here ! As well as pictures of how we like to personally do things ! If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask, but for now Creep around and enjoy ! :)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI! :tup: