What's a good Orbital waxer/polisher/buffer?

Not sure what to look for in an orbital unit. Never had one but would like one.
Is the Meguiar's G110V2 any good? Or should I be looking elsewhere?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XOXSI2/

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=115]DetailersDomain[/MENTION] can help. :)

here is a great starter kit.

Griot's 6 inch random orbital polisher kit

Use your 10% off code as well this item will be eligible for 10% off using SUBIE at the check out.

Phil

Are each of the pads uniquely different? I need like a 101 lesson for what each pad is for lols.
And or if there's other pads that will do a great job? Specially if I were to get replacements or snag some microfiber pads?

I'm trying to get rid of the factory swirls and give it a great shine.

got photos of the imperfections on your car?

Hard to get it to show up in the garage, but these are all over the car. I actually saw another Galaxy Blue Pearl just in poor condition from the factory. But he was able to buff everything out nicely.
8C80A5C2-65A7-4E9F-8B6D-225B3473DA69_zpslaxkrp3p.jpg

dr.chris

Are there some good how to videos around. I am also interested in starting to protect the finish of my car. I've never used an orbital, and am a little intimidated. Explanation of the pads, when to use each, and the application process would be helpful. Is there a basics sticky or something I should look at? I live in an apartment, but pay for a space in the garage. No hose here, but self serve car wash will at least give me water. I will never use their brush. Thanks for the help.

Yea a break down of what type of pads would be nice along with what type of product to apply for each one.

The product linked has brief description of 5 pads, more or less I would like to know more about each one and are the pads themselves actually different from one another for the different applications?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Phil [MENTION=115]DetailersDomain[/MENTION] can help us.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I'll wash the car and then rewash using a nano skin mitt.
Dry the car.
Use a clay bar to catch anything the mitt didn't get.
-Alternative to the mitt is to use a claybar for the entire car.
For clay lube I use MeGuires quick detailer.
A random orbital such as the porter cable is easy to use with very minimal risk of burning the paint. It is speed adjustable for the type if work your using. The unit is fairly heavy so you don't need much muscle to apply product.
I've got three basic pads in my arsenal, red, orange and black. Each of these pads gas dirt of a grit or cut to them.
The red is used with a moderate to aggressive cut mix or for paint exhibiting a moderate to heavy scratch and other things like baked on bird doo.
The orange is more for a fine to moderate swirl and paint imperfections.
The black is for polishes, glazes and waxes.
The type of product you use on the pad should match the cut of the pad.
I've got three basic items I use with my machine.
Moderate swirl and paint defect polish. Only use this on small spots that are bad
Fine swirl and defect. Use this every six months for full on detail.
Ultra fine glaze with carnuba for the finish of the machine.
After the paints been perfected, I use a high quality paste carnuba for the finish. This applied by hand and then removed by hand. After removal, I use a wool bonnet with a microfiber bonnet over that to machine polish.
After wax polish, I spritz the car with a quick detailer to remove wax splatter and dried wax dust.
About once a year I'll use a paint sealant.
I've got dozens of terry towels for general purpose wipes and dozens of microfiber cloths for waxing/polishing and finish work.
You can never have too many towels.

Digging around to find what the color pads are for what. I couldn't find blue but DD site shows it as a finishing pad and green for polishing, guess its the same as orange. Not sure whats right lol. Thinking of getting a griots soon or the tactrix cable. hmm choices!

Griots colors?
Yellow Scrubbing Pad
Blue Applicator Pad
Red Waxing Pad
Orange Polishing Pad
White Glass Polishing Pad
Black Foam Finish Pad

DD site colors
1 Uber 6.5 inch Yellow Cutting Pad
1 Uber 6.5 inch Orange Medium Cut Pad
1 Uber 6.5 inch Green Polish Pad
1 Uber 6.5 inch Blue Finishing Pad
1 Uber 6.5 inch Black Wax/Sealant Pad

Still dont know what pad is for what here.

DetailersDomain

On Vacation
sure thing

Black Pad is for Glazes and Waxes
Blue Pad is for final polish or glazes
Green Pad is for polishing
Orange Pad is for med polish
Yellow Pad is for cutting/compounding