Which summer tires to buy??

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i have an 07 STi on stock BBS's. tire size is 225/45/17. currently have snow tires on and its just about time to take them off. What kind of summer tires are you guys running? looking to spend around $600-700 just for the tires (i work at a shop that will mount for free). I was thinking about the Michelin Pilot Super Sport i can get those for $130 per tire from my job. They go for $150 each on tire rack so that sounds like a decent deal. I don't need glue wrapped around my wheels just something that is good for daily driving and some spirited driving. Thanks guys!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Bridgestone potenza re760
Bf goodrich comp 2
Dunlop direzza dz101 and dz102

If you can get pilot sports for $130 a tire then thats awesome.

Any of those would be more than enough. :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've had the Hankook Ventus V12 on for many years now. They're not the grippiest ever, especially in the rain, but they've survived several years of driving and many cumulative hours of track time. I haven't personally run other tires on the STI, but they've met my requirements.

The M5 guys all swear by the Michelin PSS, so that's not a bad option either! Probably more grip than the Hankook, but probably not as much longevity.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Pilots are definitely come recommended from the German crowd, Porsche and BMW. Very good option.
I've got the pilot sport A/S and they are phenomenal for a daily... surpassing my old continental DW summer tires. I feel they are s very good sport tire with a bit of longevity.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
Ive had the pilot sport a/s 3 on my wrx and they were great i loved them but didnt grip as much as i would have liked them to. I had the PSS on my wrx after that but only for a short time b4 i crashed it luckily those wheels werent on the car so i was able to sell them. I will most likely go with those again just wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks for the responses guys

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I love my Bridgestone RE760 Sport's. They are just as sticky as any other tire I've had, but seem to last a lot longer. (Dry traction performance is awesome. Wet is pretty good, but I wouldn't push your luck in the rain.) They have a reinforced shoulder, which is great for me because I wear the shoulders off of tires before anything else. I don't really slow down for turns. :lol: I've run Nitto's and Pirrelli's previously and I like these better.

Last edited:

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
I love my Bridgestone RE760 Sport's. They are just as sticky as any other tire I've had, but seem to last a lot longer. (Dry traction performance is awesome. Wet is pretty good, but I wouldn't push your luck in the rain.) They have a reinforced shoulder, which is great for me because I wear the shoulders off of tires before anything else. I don't really slow down for turns. :lol: I've run Nitto's and Pirrelli's previously and I like these better.

i just compared the Bridgestones to the Michelin PSS on tire rack. while the Bridgestones are cheaper by about $10 per tire, the Michelin has better reviews and better ratings for traction both dry and wet, ride comfort, steering response, cornering, and tread wear. if there was a bigger difference in price i would go with the Bridgestones but for $40 ill stick with the tire i know.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Just a reminder for everyone... Treadwear ratings are not for comparisons between brands. Each manufacturer develops there own treadwear ratings, specifications, requirements and measurements. They are for comparisons between different tire models within the same brand only.

War_Panda04

STill Plays With Toys!
i did not know that. but i don't mean the UTQG rating, this is from "customer survey data" right from tire rack.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Dont forget Tire Rack's "Test Results" where they actually compare them, on the same cars and same track, back-to-back.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah, its really nice. Not all tires get tested, but most of the popular ones do, especially if they've been around for a few years.