Will be installing a new turbo in my 04 STi.

imprezed04

Okay guys,
I'm aware I have been away from the site for a while, thats for multiple reasons.. The main one being I am currently in Afghanistan and wont be home til about December.. that being said, I also am a huge fan of taking the GOOD with the BAD.. By that I mean, I have run into a couple people here in Afghanistan that are from the same area I will be going back to and a couple of them have random NEW parts that they will not be using / needing because they got rid of their cars. So, lets start with this.

I am being given a brand new turbo, still in the box, sealed. This turbo is the 10cm Housing, Ported http://www.bptstore.com/Subaru-WRXS...ka-Pickle-Ball-Bearing-Turbocharger_p_16.html

I'm running a MOSTLY stock STi and would like ideas on what I SHOULD do, before bolting that bad boy up to the car and blowing up the motor. First, I have ordered 1300cc injectors and a 355lph Walbro fuel pump. I should be good on supplying fuel to the motor so it isnt starved. I know I will then need to get it tuned, which I have plans for (someone from this site specifically). With these parts, I was also GIVEN a multi-stage methanol injection kit that is only missing the nozzle to spray it into the intercooler.

If there's anything else that is a necessity (aside from a Hans device lol) that I NEED, please dont hesitate to tell me. I would greatly appreciate any and all assistance in advance.

Id steer away from meth injection if ethanol is readily available. Make sure you have the proper oil feed line restrictor. Ull need the grimmspeed spacers if its a 3" turbo inlet. Aftermarket intercooler and bypass valve would be a good idea. Top mount will be best for you but can be a biotch to close the hood with the spacers. TGV deletes are a must. And if u really want good fuel flow, i hope those were top feed injectors u bought. External wastegate is good and loud as crap to piss people off but not a necessity. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator id say is pretty close to a need.

imprezed04

As it sits, I've ordered 1300cc top feed DW's and Perrin Top Feed Fuel Rails. I ordered an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator as well as a gauge for it so we can get it dialed in. I was looking at the Grimspeed TGV Deletes, but wasn't 100% sure on whether they were needed.. No worries, I can pick those up pretty cheap. I ordered a Turbo XS FMIC as well as a Tial 44mm external wastegate setup so I have consistant boost. As far as the fuel pump, I looked at Bosch inline pumps and couldnt decide on that or dual in-tank fuel pumps. As far as e-85, there are 2 places around that I can get it however, I will not always be where I currently am stationed when I get home. So I was hoping for both tunes, E-85 and 93 octane + meth.. Only problem is, from what I can see, the E-85 is eating up pumps and fuel lines like no bodies business. I'd rather not be continually replacing stuff in the fuel system due to this, so I might just stick with 93 octane. I'm debating on which intake to go with because there are soo many choices and I'd like to find one that is effective, non-restrictive and can be out of the way of all the other crazyness that goes on under the hoods of these cars.. Some SRI's seem too short.

Thanks for the advice I look forward to hearing more pointers as well in the future. What kind of spool should I expect, possibly when, and how hard will this pull. I'm not looking for all out racecar, but I'd like a fair amount of comfortable power when I want / need it.

If you run teflon or viton fuel lines, you are fine. If you use deatchswerks and i also believe walbro fuel pumps, they are ethanol compatible. E85 will not gobble up your stock lines, stock pump may be another story. If you keep your stock lines, id just look to replace those within the next 1.5 to 2 years. If you run ethanol, get rid of your stock filter, thatll deterriorate before the lines will.

imprezed04

If you run teflon or viton fuel lines, you are fine. If you use deatchswerks and i also believe walbro fuel pumps, they are ethanol compatible. E85 will not gobble up your stock lines, stock pump may be another story. If you keep your stock lines, id just look to replace those within the next 1.5 to 2 years. If you run ethanol, get rid of your stock filter, thatll deterriorate before the lines will.

Good lookin' out. After installation of the turbo and the DW topfeeds, I'll look into replacing the stock pump and filter with a better one. As far as the lines, I'll have to look around to see where I can get a better set. on the top side I'll be running AN fittings for the fuel regulator to ensure consistant pressure and ability to hold. At this point I'm praying the stock internals and trans can handle the power that this should make. We'll see how it goes. Will need to look into where to get a tune from. Not 100% comfortable with AWD tuning, but I've never dealth with them either.

If you run e85, i know of people having 470awhp on stock block. Ethanol is what saves your engine at those numbers. I personally run 440awhp 460awtq as a daily. Zero knock, good EGT, perfect fueling, good timing, and stay under 25psi, really any more and ull start playing with a possible head lift. Im not saying something cant/wont happen/break, its always a possibility and your risk, but i feel safe with corn. I wouldnt run those numbers on 93+meth tho. No one really makes a premade kit for fuel lines. I customized my fuel sending unit and hand made my fuel lines front to back with a DW 320, FIC1100, Aeromotive top feed rail, Fuelab FPR. Got everything from Jegs for a couple hundred. Teflon lines and fittings arent the cheapest and stainless braided arent the easiest to play with, lol.

Oh, one more tid bit of corn, you cannot use paper fuel filters (why i said get rid of your stock one).....you have to use the metal screen filters 100 micron i think. And if you dont want to fabricate your own fuel sending unit, i know fullblownmotorsports.com makes dual fuel pump sending units, they may make you a single if you talk to them, idk. It wont be cheap tho.