Work xd9

jjv

I have an 11 sti looking to purchase work xd9. Don't know what offset to buy to make them flush with my car. Any body familiar with wheels? I wanto keep the big dish don't know anyone who can roll fenders though. Either want 18x9 or 18x10. Can anyone help?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Body shops should be able to roll and pull.

What size wheel and it's offset and how it fits will be relative to the suspension setup and the goal you are trying to obtain.

Tire aspect ratio, diameter, and width is also a factor. Even the shape of the tires shoulder will determine fitment.

How the wheel sits on the car is relative to it's offset and wheel width. Offset is the mounting hub surface deviation, pos or neg, from the centerline of the wheel barrel. An 18x8 +40 wheel will sit more inset than a 18x10 +40 wheel.

18x9.5 with a 38mm offset, stock suspension/alignment, will fit with no other mods. Front may poke just a little but with a degree or so of neg camber, this will bring the wheel/tire back in line of the fender. Rear will fit with a small inset to the chassis.
Tire should be selected to run an aspect ratio comparable or less than the factory wheel/tire overall diameter in order to prevent rubbing. Still yet, tires may rub in the front under extreme compression when running wider width tires.

18x9.5 +38mm - 265/35-18 tire DW, with about 1.5 drop will rub in the rear even with 2-2.3 degree camber. Fender roll will be necessary and bringing the camber back to about 1 degree will make a more flush fitment. 1.5 degree camber in the front will make an inline profile with the fender. Depending on the spring/coilover what have you, compression may/will make the tires contact the inner fender.

If you are going hellaflush, then you want more negative offset, like less than 38mm. Fender rolls and pulls will be necessary and most likely fender liners will need to be modded or removed entirely in the front. More extreme camber will be need to get the wheel inline with the fender. Stretching a smaller tire will be necessary to help prevent contact and to give the wheel that flush look. Negative camber will also be needed.
Caveat - hellaflush is for hard parking only. The alterations needed will make the car handle like poop and thus be detrimental to the intended purpose of the vehicle. If this is your goal and don't care much about the handling and want to simply look good? This is your choice and I will not judge... to each their own.

Look at my journal for my wheel pics.. I'm sure you have already.

Read the tire/wheel tech sticky... I hope you have.

jjv

Thank you for your help but all of that is just over my head i have a hard time comprehending all of this. The two rims i have an options of choosing from are these. 18x9.75 is with a +20 offset. And the 18x8.75 is with a +35 offset. I will be lowering a little with fortune 500 series coils. Just to get rid of the wheel gap. Im not trying to get the all looks. I still want be able to take turns going fast and I'm definetl y not slamming it. What rim size would you choose? And in addition what tire would work for that rim.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Your first choice is too large with that offset. This one will take a lot of work to fit and really may not fit at all.
Second choice is better.
Your stock setup is 18x8.5 +55. (Close enough) Go to your car and put a tape measure on the wheel/tire and add 20mm. This will give you a relation as to where the wheel/tire will fit. (This is in effect subtracting offset to 35mm)
There are multiple tires that will fit the wheel. For that size wheel, 245/40 and 255/35 are popular sizes.
Go to the tirerack.com and find a tire you want. Click the spec tab for the tire and find out what sizes are recommended for your wheel width. The tire rack is an invaluable resource and has all if the info you need to know.