This deserves its own section. FFS and LC

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
Do you like it? Is it dangerous to the car?

Vermont

See I have always wondered about the dangers of LC. I know it uses timing retardation to build the boost and resets the rev limited at a specified amount but does any one know of a write for how exactly it works? Haven't ever been able to find any really good resources on it....

jswansti

Ive attempted to use lc once and I sucked at it because I was too afraid of damaging the tyranny or anything else. On the other hand I have used ffs on several occasions. I definitely feel like it gives an advantage in racing, and I just like using it sometimes when I feel feisty and go WOT.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I'm running both LC and FFS (open source) - LC in particular is quite abusive to your tranny and clutch, and yes you can in more extreme cases (depends on how much you put down, and tires I guess) start snapping components off like axles and diffs. That being said - no more so than executing a poor launch without it. On the timing retardation mentioned by Vermont above - that's only one form of LC (closer to anti-lag really). Most vanilla launch control just use the rev limiter with an offset.

FFS, on the other hand, properly used, is the bomb, and theoretically should put less strain on the driveline if set at the right level. The great thing about it is that since the throttle never closes, you don't vent, and lose boost. It really makes a difference hauling ass around.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
FFS, on the other hand, properly used, is the bomb, and theoretically should put less strain on the driveline if set at the right level. The great thing about it is that since the throttle never closes, you don't vent, and lose boost. It really makes a difference hauling ass around.

Care to elaborate on that? I dont know if it's been addressed elsewhere, but FFS interests me for my track days, and I'd love to know how to set it "at the right level."

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Well - I can't give you the theoretical reponse - I haven't researched it that much (yet!) - but I had to play around with the level a couple of time before the shifts became smooth (settled on 5200 eventually). If set too low, you land up getting driveline lash quite badly - which not only feels horrendous and hurts performance, but I'm also sure does your driveline no favours. Once you do get it right though, it's unbelievably smooth in terms of shifting - like a driving a sequential box almost (and I drove a DSG for 3 years, I know). Plus, you don't have to think about the shifting, keep the foot flat, and just nail the next gear in.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ok, so how do I enable FFS on my AP? Is it a seperate map or an option on the AP itself?

jswansti

Its an option on the AP itself. WHen the AP is plugged in, go to TUNE-> Adjustments->Flat Foot Shifting. From here you can set the rpm. If you dont have this option you need to update your Accessport through AP Manager. I also dont think its available on 02-05 wrx's...