Remote Starter for 2005 STi

lawsjl23

Does anyone know if they make a remote starter for a 2005 STi? If so, any responses would be greatly appreciated!!:D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Does anyone know if they make a remote starter for a 2005 STi? If so, any responses would be greatly appreciated!!:D

No clue to be honest.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I figure so.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
There are hundreds actually... Any alarm with remote start that has the Manual Transmission sequence will do.

I just bought one for my 240 but I have yet to install it.

I found a really good one on ebay for $120

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Here is an example. This alarm will arm the remote start on a manual if you follow this shut down procedure... Set the E-Brake, Put the car in neutral and foot off the clutch, Turn off the key (The car still is running), exit the vehicle, close the door and set the alarm (Car shuts off). Now the car is in a safe state to remote start.

Despite what people say this is not a piece of shit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FM-2-WAY-CAR-ALARM-REMOTE-START-STARTER-KEYLESS-ENTRY-UP-TO-9000-FEET-RANGE-/330709295283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cffcf60b3

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Don't the Viper alarms have a remote start feature?

I think that's what a friend of mine did on his ITR and he loves everything about it.

TCASLV

^ its a huge liability for the shop to install them on manual cars, as some people find a way to mess it up to where 1 day they will go to start the car, then it so happens to drive through the house/garage/next door neighbors lawn ect. If that happend, the shop can be held accountable for the damage. The sequence part is a good thing, but still seen it fail.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
But there are alarms made specifically for use on manual transmissions and are safe to install and use and the shops will not have a problem installing these types of alarms... If a shop does not know of these alarms I speak of then I would consider going somewhere else. :) IMO this only tells me that they won't stand behind their work.

My buddy has this alarm installed on his 04 sti and it is impossible to start the car remotely if the proper criteria was not met when the car was shut off.

If the car still starts then the thing was miswired and the shop or the manufacturer should be liable in any case. :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not sure but I have seen alarms that include a module which utilizes a spare key... There are others that have other ways around it.

Good question though! I'm gona have to do some research now because I am curious myself.

TCASLV

But there are alarms made specifically for use on manual transmissions and are safe to install and use and the shops will not have a problem installing these types of alarms... If a shop does not know of these alarms I speak of then I would consider going somewhere else. :) IMO this only tells me that they won't stand behind their work.

My buddy has this alarm installed on his 04 sti and it is impossible to start the car remotely if the proper criteria was not met when the car was shut off.

If the car still starts then the thing was miswired and the shop or the manufacturer should be liable in any case. :tup:

Just saying. And yes I would go to another installer also. But most of the older tech didnt have the ability to sense if the car was in gear either. Some of the newer models are able to sense that it is in gear and only thing you had to make sure was that the parking brake is on.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Just saying. And yes I would go to another installer also. But most of the older tech didnt have the ability to sense if the car was in gear either. Some of the newer models are able to sense that it is in gear and only thing you had to make sure was that the parking brake is on.

The alarms I'm talking about don't sense the gear position. :tup: You follow a sequence that ensures the car is in neutral and the parking brake is engaged prior to shutting the car off. Once you exit the car and arm the alarm, the engine will shut off. With this method there is no way the car can be in gear and it is ready for remote start.

I should be installing mine soon and hopefully I will be able to demonstrate this :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I managed to finally install my alarm system, and the remote start arming sequence and remote start function are working as expected. There is pretty much no way to get this wrong and if you do you will not be able to start the car remotely.

I will post a video demonstrating the remote sequence for manual transmission mode very shortly.

Bang876

So how will this work if you have a turbo timer?

Bang876

Really thats is sick! So you got this off Ebay huh? I am seriously thinking about ordering one. Thanks