Couple questions about my new motor

Gunslinger07

Hello, as some of you may have read in my introduction, I bought a 04 sti about 6 months ago only to have it spin a rod bearing within the first month. But that's not where the problems started, the first week I had a huge oil leak and upon further inspection discovered that I had bought the car with a jb welded cracked head.. I got that replaced and everything was going smoothly. I am being honest when I say that when I spun my rod bearing I was not ripping on it. I know this may sound unlikely but it's the truth, I was taking it extra easy because of the new head. I was cruising down the road at about 45 in 5th gear when the car suddenly died, I tried starting it again while still moving but it would not stay going without help from the gas. With this came a horrible thudding noise from under my hood. I immediately pulled over and had it towed to the shop. I had spun a rod bearing. At this point the shop tells me that the car was definitely previously built and that the stock turbo was pretty much trash.. being desperate to get the car back on the road and low on cash I went with the Blouch td05 16g turbo.. I know this isn't much of a upgrade. I had also ordered a the HKS Hi-Power exhaust, HKS downpipe, Agency Power up-pipe, and a Cobb intake within the first week of owning the car so I had them sitting brand new, I have now have put them on the car as well. The car has stock injectors and fuel pump and currently no tune. I have about 750 miles on the new motor and have not taken the car over 4500 rpms. Now for my questions.. I have not taken the car over 4500 rpms and try to never keep the car at a steady rpm. I've read 1,000 miles for the break in. Does anyone have any other tips for the break in process? Next, my plan is to get a tune immediately after the break in. I cannot find a awd dyno within 4 hours so i'm considering doing a street tune instead. Does anyone have any experience in doing this and would you recommend it or should I take the trip and drive to a dyno? Last question, what other supporting mods am I going to need prior to taking it in for a tune? I know I will need some kind of boost control. Do I need a fuel pump and injectors for 16g? Will I need the cobb accessport or something similar?
Sorry for all of the noob questions, this is my first turbo vehicle and it has now put me in debt and the last thing I want is for something to go wrong again :( I tried searching these questions without much result but if any of these topics have been previously discussed I apologize. Thank you very much in advance, sorry for the novel!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
You'll want new injectors and fuel pump. They're both pretty much maxed at a stage 2 on the stock turbo.

I would recommend getting/borrowing a tactrix cable and doing a few logs. Just because you're not going above 4500 rpm does not mean that you aren't doing any harm to your motor.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
^^Agreed...

First let me offer you this... :) We provide e-tuning services free of charge for sponsor level members and for the cost of a membership you get pretty much unlimited tuning sessions. This is a street tune and it requires some knowledge on your part, but the results are just as good - if not better - than any dyno tune. We use virtual dyno to derive the results and a street tune encompasses real world load conditions. Not artificial load like on a dyno. You, however, must be responsible on the road and pick roads that are flat and away from mainstream traffic. It would kill me to read someone crashed and killed himself as a result of a tuning session on public roads.

Suggestions are to get your self a Tactrix OpenPort 2 and you will be set. It is the cheapest solution for you. You will need to familiarize yourself with RomRaider Logger and ECUflash but once (if) we begin the tuning process, I can show you everything you need to know before hand. You will also need a good lap top computer with good battery life.

Also even though it is probably prudent to get yourself injectors, I would hold off until we know for sure what we are dealing with. For sure a pump is a must though. The mods you suggest otherwise are a good start. The only things I might add to that are a Cobb cold air box and maybe a bigger top mount IC. However the stock one will still support the 16G.

In any case it would be in your best interest to get us a log so we can determine the current state of your tune and the health of your engine. :tup:

Gunslinger07

wow thanks for all of the replies guys! You're making me feel better already. Does anyone want to point me towards a thread to familiarize myself a bit with the Tactrix openport?