38 or 44?

Jbp04sti

Alright guys so I've been reading up on 38 and 44mm ewg. So it sounds like 38 is generally for just stock turbos/ smaller turbos in general? I have vf22 kinda curious if I should go with a 38 or 44.
Thanks guys;) ????

Grinder34

Track Monkey
why do you want an EWG? You get very little (if any) performance gain from going EWG (especially on a stock turbo!), and the setups arent cheap. You can put that money to lots of other things and get extra power, spool, etc...

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
^ +1

First is the question... "Is a EWG needed in the first place?" and the answer to that is "No" unless you are experiencing boost creep or you have purchased a turbo without an internal waste gate. Otherwise you are simply wasting money and you will see no improvement in performance.

In any case, sizing a waste gate depends on your setup and your goal and the waste gate size is more dependent on how much boost there is and less about how big the turbo is. For instance a larger waste gate is suited for lower boost applications because the larger gate passes more exhaust gases through it, and in low boost applications, more of the exhaust gases are being diverted away from the turbo through the waste gate. In a high boost application, less gasses are being bypassed so a smaller gate is suitable. The reason the size of the turbo is less of an influence is because the ratio of exhaust gasses to divert is similar to achieve the same boost pressure. If anything, I would say smaller waste gates are suited more for larger turbos because most of the exhaust gases will not be diverted in order to allow the turbo to run at its desired boost versus that of a smaller turbo, where much more exhaust is being diverted.

There are other sources for this information if you search carefully and this is what I have learned as well over the years. In my experience a 38mm will do in most cases but that is subject to trial. I have noticed that on very large turbos with low boost, the larger waste gates tend to flutter or chatter a little.

Last edited:

finallymysti

pick which one you like the sound of best. the 44 is deeper sound while the 38 is a higher pitched sound. i'm assuming your just getting for the sound. that's what I did and I don't regret it one bit.