1. Top Of Page | #161
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Reverend's Hyper Blue WRX STI

Good stuff

2. Top Of Page | #162

User Info Menu

My car has been on some sort of "Stage 2" setup for 3 years now. I knew my next step was going to be FlexFuel, but it took me awhile to get to the point where I knew how I wanted to do it and what other mods to do that would be easiest whilst doing FlexFuel anyways. The floodgates opened up with possibilities but I still ended up going fairly conservative. I'm in no rush to end the life of the EJ257 under the hood, so reliability while still increasing performance was my main goal.

The end result has 357whp and 384wtq on E85. Figures are about 50 points lower on 91 Octane, so I'm very happy with the gains from adding some corn juice to the diet. At the heart of these gains is the COBB FlexFuel kit along with ID1050X Injectors, DW300c Fuel Pump, and some other bits we tweaked. The TGVs and Secondary Air Pump have also been deleted, too. To ensure proper cooling, we added a coolant line to Cylinder #4 and then buttoned it all up for some tuning. I drove from Omaha to Des Moines to meet with Graham (Boosted Performance Tuning) and he was great to work with as always. We backed off a bit on the torque figures since I'm still on a stock clutch for now. He said this Dyno reads a little light on Torque and that I'm probably making closer to the low 400s to the wheels for that. I can certainly feel it!

Untitled by 86Reverend, on Flickr

This bump in power is even more fun with the grippy tires I picked up earlier this summer. 2020 Plans are really starting to compliment eachother now and just in time for the 5-Year Anniversary. Got a few more touches to finish up and I should have a video of this build in October to cap it all off.

3. Thanks IGOTASTi, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTASTi, Alin liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #163
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Still stock turbo?

Not too bad.

5. Top Of Page | #164

User Info Menu

Yup! Stock turbo. Stock clutch (while it lasts!). Stock block. I've been pretty cautious with stuff knowing the weak points of the EJ257. AOS helps keep oil where it's supposed to be. Coolant is more evenly distributed through the block with the additional line we added to the 4th Cyinder. I'd like to do Head Studs at some point and I'll need to upgrade the clutch soon, too.

6. Thanks Alin, bue car thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, bue car liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #165
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Does the air duct/tray that mounts to the TMIC from your picture have a specific name? Is it a legit aftermarket piece you can buy, or did you fabricate it yourself? If aftermarket, are they available for the GD chassis? I've never personally seen that before. Have you tested if it helps in any way, shape, or form?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

8. Top Of Page | #166

User Info Menu

I wish someone else made these intercooler shrouds! But I got together with a friend who can weld and fabricate stuff like this. We worked together a few years ago to make this specifically for my car and my hood, so unless your 2004 STI and the hood you're running has the same dimensions as this (which I would bet it doesn't) I don't think it would fit.

Still, I get enough questions about that shroud that I've resumed work on making adjustments to my initial design so we can produce more of these. I know there are plenty of STI owners who have this kind of hood that could use this.

Intercooler Shround - Part 3

9. Thanks Alin, bue car thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, Alin, bue car liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #167
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend View Post
    I wish someone else made these intercooler shrouds! But I got together with a friend who can weld and fabricate stuff like this. We worked together a few years ago to make this specifically for my car and my hood, so unless your 2004 STI and the hood you're running has the same dimensions as this (which I would bet it doesn't) I don't think it would fit.

Still, I get enough questions about that shroud that I've resumed work on making adjustments to my initial design so we can produce more of these. I know there are plenty of STI owners who have this kind of hood that could use this.

Intercooler Shround - Part 3

This is great to see! I love custom modifications that are functional. We went on slightly different paths, however, the results should be similar:

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

11. Thanks bue car thanked for this post
    Likes bue car liked this post
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617