Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  44
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Daily/Family Whip: 06 STI

1. Top Of Page | #31
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: The Daily/Family Whip: 06 STI

Unfortunately, I have no experience outside of the stock struts/springs, even though I've had sets of coilovers and aftermarket performance struts/springs in my possession in the past that never ended up getting installed on the car. The people who will chime in will have good arguments for either or. @Grinder34 @Eagleye @Batmobile_Engage @Boogieman98

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

2. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hulakatt View Post
    To Do:
    replace interior carpet, preferably non-stock color
    Bride Stradia seats
    harness bar
    Cobb shifter and bushings
    2 sets of wheels (summer and snow tire sets)
    front lip
    start looking at suspension (KW Varient 3's, new bushings, sway bars, etc...)
    repaint/repair/replace trunk due to rust at rear spoiler
    Mishimoto Coolant hoses
    Cobb Air/Oil seperator
    new OEM front bumper crossmember
    Seibon CF Rear Roof Spoiler
    Mishimoto Coolant overflow tank (need to install)
    SPT Turbo Heat Shield (need to install)
    properly reinstall windshield washer fluid reservoir
    Nooooooo, do NOT do the harness bar!

Basically, if you get in a crash and the harness bar buckles backwards (think of a t-bone collision) it pulls you into/through the seat and all the good internal organs come squishing out the sides. If it buckles forwards, it could impale you.

4-point harnesses pose another problem.

if you slam into a wall or another car all the momentum of your body wants you to continue to go forward. With a factory seatbelt you do just that and an airbag helps cushion the blow. With a 4-point, the top of your body cant go forward so the bottom does. Basically, you can get jettisoned into the area under the steering wheel and end up a ball in the footwell.

Also, harnesses are usually illegal to use (not have) on a car on public roads.

The reason is the above two safety issues PLUS, if you have it tightened down properly, you cant really turn your head/body to check blind spots and whatnot. Thats why many racecars have that huuuuge, panoramic rear-view mirror.

Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

4. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #33

User Info Menu

Any thoughts on lowering springs and performance shocks along with the sway bars, endlinks and bushings as opposed to coilovers? I'd honestly be happy to retain as much stock performance as possible and take it down an inch or two, maybe take some roll out of it in the corners.
    Whats your goal? A good set of fixed perch struts matched with springs is gonna be great for most people. If you need to be able to adjust settings for street/track and even between particular tracks, then coilovers are going to be the way to go. But for every "right" way to set coilovers there's about a million ways to make the ride terrible.

6. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #34

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Whats your goal? A good set of fixed perch struts matched with springs is gonna be great for most people. If you need to be able to adjust settings for street/track and even between particular tracks, then coilovers are going to be the way to go. But for every "right" way to set coilovers there's about a million ways to make the ride terrible.
    Not looking for much adjustment, the car is my daily/family ride and gets autocrossed only once or twice a year at best. I'm looking for a small step up from OEM in handling and flat cornering and a step down in ride height.

8. Top Of Page | #35

User Info Menu

Not looking for much adjustment, the car is my daily/family ride and gets autocrossed only once or twice a year at best. I'm looking for a small step up from OEM in handling and flat cornering and a step down in ride height.
    Then even just a set of lowering springs will definitely get you more bang for the buck. No need for coilovers!

But definitely do swaybars & endlinks, that'll realllly help keep the car flat and dial out some of that understeer.

9. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #36
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

I agree. Forget that harness bars even exist.

As for supension, my suggestion would be:

Tokico D-spec gas shocks
    RCE Black springs
    Whiteline adjustable sway bars, endlinks, sway bar mounts and urethane bushings
    Group-N top hats
    Trunk X or V brace

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASTi View Post
    I will put the last drop of oil on Earth in my turbocharged machine and smile amongst the carcinogenic fumes as I burn T-Rex’s family tree just so I can pass you, sideways in the middle of a blizzard.
    Member Journal: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5453-The-Batmobile_Engage-Member-Journal

11. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #37

User Info Menu

Omg i totally forgot about a trunk brace! I did the home-depot "chassis bridge" and it stopped about a million creaks I would get everyday. Cost like $15.

13. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #38
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Omg i totally forgot about a trunk brace!
    Thank you! Thank you very much. I'll be here all week.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASTi View Post
    I will put the last drop of oil on Earth in my turbocharged machine and smile amongst the carcinogenic fumes as I burn T-Rex’s family tree just so I can pass you, sideways in the middle of a blizzard.
    Member Journal: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5453-The-Batmobile_Engage-Member-Journal

15. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
  16. Top Of Page | #39

User Info Menu

hmm, hadn't thought or heard much about trunk chassis bracing before now.

17. Top Of Page | #40
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

There are many different variations of the trunk x brace. Looks like this is the only picture that I have of my car's and it's not the best , but you can see the rear strut bar and my x brace:

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

18. Thanks War_Panda04 thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, War_Panda04 liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast