GD George's cars (Retired)

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Hmmm. In my mind this doesn't seem possible though. If you increase the cable length you are increasing the resistance. You simply can't get around physics on this one. For every foot of length you add to the cable, you incur a voltage drop. For a 2 awg cable the voltage drop would be nearly 1.5 volts for 15ft of cable length while cranking and close to .5 volts under normal operating load.

But what does this mean to me in my application? probably not much.

I see what you say about selecting the right components though. I suppose for normal use it would be just fine to leave things alone but for someone that might wish to fill their car with heavy electronics, then relocating the battery would require a more robust cable. In this case one could simply increase the cable thickness to something like 1/0 awg and be just fine.

My thoughts on using a voltage stabilizer are purely for reasons related to tuning. The injectors and the coil packs are supplied by unregulated power. The unregulated power in a car can spike as much as 2 volts under normal operation due to the cycling of accessories, motors and sensors. This fluctuation in voltage relates directly to injector latency. I was thinking if the voltage was more stable it would reduce the effects of latency on the tune and the tuning process may be easier and/or more consistent. Possibly resulting in a better running engine.

What do you think?

As far as the paint goes I haven't seen any good material out there on the subject. The only reason I want to paint the motor is for aesthetics only. The problem with thermal paints and additives is they don't make any appealing colors and the point becomes mute. If I was smart I would just leave well enough alone and not paint it at all... But I'm not smart :tard:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!

Thanks pal! :lol:

Depends on where you put it, mine will be a smaller battery under the passenger seat. Not that much cable.

I've seen ceramic coatings range in color from white to black, I see no reason why thermal dissipating additives would have restrictions if the insulating ones don't.

Hmm. What would you think about two braille batteries, one under the passenger and one under the driver, to evenly distribute the weight and still maintain the strength of a single larger battery?

I'm just going to go ahead an powder coat it and go with the flow. I can't see it being a big an issue and if it is, then oh well... another $3000 down the crapper.

Paul.c

Thanks pal! :lol:

I'm just going to go ahead an powder coat it and go with the flow. I can't see it being a big an issue and if it is, then oh well... another $3000 down the crapper.
If you do end up powder coating your block be sure to take good tempurature measurements before and after. I would like to know what (if any) the temp diffs are. And you should let us pick the colors. :lol:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If you do end up powder coating your block be sure to take good tempurature measurements before and after. I would like to know what (if any) the temp diffs are. And you should let us pick the colors. :lol:

Do you want me to take the temp at the surface of the block or of the coolant.

I am actually thinking if I take a delta reading of the coolant into and out of the engine and make a comparison of it with paint and with out, then any difference would be directly related to the heat energy that is left in the coolant as a result of the insulating properties of the paint.

If that makes any sense. And YES please suggest a cool color for my next motor!!!

Paul.c

I have seen some powder coaters do a wood grain look. That would be cool, with some wagon wheels, about 26". I agree with you about the coolant temps being sufficiant. If it holds in heat then the coolant temps would reflect that.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I wish they made a carbon fiber paint. I'd do that.

I'm thinking bronze and gold

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm not so concerned about weight as much as I am about weight distribution. Moving them to the middle of the car makes better sense to me. I don't want a heavy rear. I also suppose Fuji's idea to place just one under the passenger seat would be a better route because it might serve to offset the weight of my fat ass on the driver side :lol:

I think 2 brail batteries would be.... :tard: You'd add more weight in cable with two. You'd be better off relocating a battery to the back and putting it in the middle up against the rear seat.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
So I'm on my way home from work yesterday and went WOT just before my exit. It hit full boost @ 22psi and then the boost gauge suddenly dropped and remained erratic until i came off the gas. I didn't really know what to think about this until this morning. When I started the car this morning there was a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust. Then on the way to work I got on it and it never reached full boost and there was clouds of blue smoke belching out the exhaust. Throttle response is erratic when ever the turbos starts to spool

It's turbo time. :roll:

I kinda knew this would happen because the last time I had the turbo out I noticed a significant amount of shaft play. Just thought I would get through the winter but I guess not.

Not so sure what I'm gonna get now. I think I've out grown the 20G. My next build is going to include a set of BC 272 cams so I will need to research what is best matched for the application.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I'm thinking the same. maybe a 3076.

I want to stick with stock location. I'm a cheap fuck and I'm fine with the latency issues involved.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I didn't think of that. I will definately look into it.

I have no experience with ported turbos though. What kind of gains do they typically see with this and where are its effects felt i.e. low, mid or top end.

Thanks!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If I knew what I was doing I might attempt to port it my self.

Hey! Question!

Do you think 65lbs compressor is a bit to much? I would be worried about spool up at that point. Just weighing my options.