04STI Rear Wheel Drive Build

04JDMSTI

I thought I Would share my current build of my Sti. It is a 2004 and I have had it for the past 4 years.
I bought it used for 20k with 49k miles on it. Unfortunately a few weeks later the motor spin a rod bearing and the bottom in was a catastrophic failure. After all said and done, I replaced the short block with a new OEM one after a year. Now I am almos done with my 2nd motor build which will e tuned by efi logics.
The center diff is also welded. The first link below has picture of how I went about it and welded it together. Very clean and well done.

Side motor being built

STI Block
CP Pistons .25mm
Manley Rods
ACL Main & Rod bearings
2010 Nitrided Crank

D25 Heads
Tomei 270 Procams
Manley Titanium retainers & SpringsT
Stock OEM Head Gasket
Comp. PnP
Compression ratio 8:7:1

Borgwarner 360 8375 .91a/r Twinscroll
Tial 44mm EWG
Tail 50mm BOV
Invidia 1Piece ELH Custom made twinscroll
Custom made rotated downpipe
^^ welded with a Miller251 all 304 stainless steel

ID1000s Topfeed converted
Aeromotive fuel rails
Aeromotive FPR
Aeromotice FP
KStech 73mm Billet BIGMAF

This is literly waiting to be installed in a few weeks...

All this work is by me. Saved me $$$$

Current modifications:

APS70mm intake
Invidia v2 catless DP
Invidia N1 Race Turboback
Grimmspeed EBCS
XS Power FMIC

330RWTQ @ 3200rpms
310RWHP @ 3300rpms tuned by ECS Performance

RPF1 18x9.5 +38mm 5x100 (only 15 made)
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS2 EMT Runflats
ISC N1 coilovers 10k/8k
ARP Extended studs
Sr48 Lugnuts
Rolled and pulled front and rears 1"

JNA front Lip
Chargespeed bottom line SIDESKIRTS
CF roof wing
Rear fender flares
Interior all painted black
JDM red hazard button
DEFI gauge race series Boost,EGT,Oilpressure

I'll Endup editing this along the way since my iPhone isn't allowing me to see what I'm typing fml.... So here are some pictures!!

2D44C6A2.jpg

0FB4BBA3.jpg

477A2A42.jpg

C9DCBFAD.jpg

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Nice... I'm a fan of RWD! :lol:

<<<

I'm interested to know what you did to make it RWD... I think we have a thread going to that effect... you might want to chime in and add your expertise. :tup:

04JDMSTI

Well the center differential is Basically a clutch system which has a clutch pack inside. On one end of the diff attaches to the driven shaft of the transmission and on the other connects to the transfer gear which obviously spins the driveshaft. Now inside the center diff are all the spider gears and a cylinder like spline gear that spins the inner shaft of the driven shaft. The drivenshaft is hollow so the center diff can spin the inner shaft that leads to the front differential. Removing the inner spline gear basically allows the center diff to spin freely around the inner shaft. Now this is where welding comes in. Like i said one side connects to the driven shaft and one end to the transfer gear. Except that those two ends are not attached *together as one piece. The end that connects to the transfer gear spins freely. So removing all the internals would leave you immobile. So welding the two pieces together creats one completely shaft ( the center diff) so when the main shaft spins the driven shaft the driven shaft spins center diff since they are connected and now the center diff is one piece is spins the transfer gear making only the rear wheels spin. I'm sorry I can't explain any better I would upload pics but my iPhone can't.* And yes 240 Ftw!!!!

04JDMSTI

There are pictures in my photobucket album of the diff. I'll end up making a thread on it when I'm home

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well the center differential is Basically a clutch system which has a clutch pack inside. On one end of the diff attaches to the driven shaft of the transmission and on the other connects to the transfer gear which obviously spins the driveshaft. Now inside the center diff are all the spider gears and a cylinder like spline gear that spins the inner shaft of the driven shaft. The drivenshaft is hollow so the center diff can spin the inner shaft that leads to the front differential. Removing the inner spline gear basically allows the center diff to spin freely around the inner shaft. Now this is where welding comes in. Like i said one side connects to the driven shaft and one end to the transfer gear. Except that those two ends are not attached *together as one piece. The end that connects to the transfer gear spins freely. So removing all the internals would leave you immobile. So welding the two pieces together creats one completely shaft ( the center diff) so when the main shaft spins the driven shaft the driven shaft spins center diff since they are connected and now the center diff is one piece is spins the transfer gear making only the rear wheels spin. I'm sorry I can't explain any better I would upload pics but my iPhone can't.* And yes 240 Ftw!!!!

I think I get it... Very interesting. I'll have a look at the pics. Nice job!