2004 EJ205 build advice.

Hey guys. I'm looking to get my 04 WRX up to about 400-450 whp. What do you think is the best route to go to get there? Build the stock block or go Frankenstein?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Start with turbo swap, injectors and a tune from @holycrapits fast. ?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would probably build the stock motor. The hybrid setup is not with out its problems so stick with the block and head combination as well as all the supporting mods. You would need to select the right turbo for this and big is not always best but bigger is a must for the power you are looking for. On the EJ25, you can get to that realm of power an relatively smaller turbos, but yours might require something like a GT3071 or similar.

Find a good machinist to do the engine work. The machining is the single most important thing to get right with these motors. Essentially if they are not matching pistons and torque plate bore and honing, they are not doing it right. The EJ20 is more forgiving about how much material you can take away from the piston walls so you don't really have to think about sleeving for the horse power you are suggesting.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
then I would not go bigger than 850cc on gasoline. If you ever did plan on using e85, then 1000cc minimum would be prescribed.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I am very partial toward Wiseco pistons and Manlely rods. As far as size goes, you need to determine that at the time of build. The machinist needs determine how big the cylinders will be and then you can match the pistons to that.

You can probably do well with the "H" beam rods for the power you want. For much more than 500 I would suggest the TurboTuff series, but for you it is not necessary. Plus the "H" beam rods are lighter.

for the bearings I would go with stock or King or Clevite. ACL are over rated IMO and I have spun more of those than I can remember. Never had problems with the stock ones.

Thanks for your input. I was told by another unnamed source that I could use the 20G lol. Now I just have to hunt down a good machine shop lol

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah finding a good machine shop is most of the work right there.

I believe the 20G is good for 400whp on an EJ25, but that is a tall order on an EJ20. It probably can be done but how safe is it at that point. The GT30 will get you there and then some if you want it. If spool is a concern of yours, then you might even think about a GT28 or an FPgreen.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
2.0 to 2.3 is a good upgrade but the 2.5 to 2.7 I am on the fence about. My favorite solution for the EJ25 is either leave it alone or destroke it, but for the EJ20 I prefer stroking. You might actually be spending more than you have to by stroking the motor because you can easily reach your goal on a standard motor. Plus the standard motor is easier to tune with well known parameters.