2004 sti transmission, huge problems

nuveosif

so i did a full 2004 sti transsmion swap on my 04 wrx.
rear axles i had to order special parts to make work with the new r180 diff
the front axles slid right in but i didnt know this and like a jackass i listened to other people who said "just remove the nubs and use your wrx axles because the sti ones wont work"
so....without counting the threads that hold #(10) in on this diagram listed below, i messed up the lashing (so i assume) and anything else that can go wrong did.

on this diagram number (10) is what i think i messed up. i have 300 miles on my brand new motor and last night the transmission all of a sudden started to make a thumping noise. i thought to myself "crap my axle" but once i jacked up my car and checked them out i noticed they were fine. I removed them and test drove my car and that thumping noise was still there and i thought back to myself when i took those two plates off that hold that #(10) in place.

i went to a subaru shop and one of the gentlemen who specialized in transmission told me the best thing i can do is take the plates off and tighten each side one turn at a time until i cannot anymore then slowly loosen then until i have just a fraction of play in the nubs by hand, i did this today and replaced all seals and its still making this noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas or know how to set the lash? i have never done this before. i know ill never make this mistake again

13zd1m1.jpg

nuveosif

is it possible that my driver side hub is binding up somehow? i just tried to push my car forward and it was reallllllly hard and it sounded right right at the wheel and the axles are still out, unless from driving it around the corner like that made it harder somehow?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I hate to say this Jordan but it sounds to me like you may have chipped a tooth on the ring gear. That's the only thing I can think of that would be making the noise.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

nuveosif

I've been told that pulling the stubs as using the newer axles is fine as long as you replace the 04 trans seals with 05 and newer so I doubt the axles caused the issue. Like George said, it sounds like something else is broken internally.

well the noise doesnt get progressively faster as i drive faster, just a little louder. someone "Usually when the u joints are really rusty and when they may seem to leak grease packing. Take your driveshaft out and into two pieces. Rotate any end of the half shafts and see how the they move. Just as of a CV joint is no good it'll be binding but loose . It should feel like a brand new ball joint or new axle cv joint in sure you know how that feels. You can tell when you take it off

nuveosif

i dont even want to discuss how embarrassingly easy this was to fix or what the problem was....please ignore this thread

Z1107

You especially need to put it up so if anyone else runs into this problem we will have experience posted up.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
i dont even want to discuss how embarrassingly easy this was to fix or what the problem was....please ignore this thread

I, however, have no qualms about spilling the beans. He forgot to tighten his lug nuts.

LOL.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

nuveosif

lmao shutup!!! i did a fully built motor and a full sti transmission swap....theres alot of stuff to look at and alot of noises to listen for. cut me some slack!