2008 Subaru STI aircon problem..

Darkhorse

hi guys...i seriously have an aircon problem with my 2008 STI hatch. when the aircon is switched it takes time to start blowing cold air...so worse you can drive even 15km before it kicks in the cold air. you will even have to switch in off an try again until it suddenly kicks in. but sometimes it starts without a problem only that it works intermittently. the compressor was replaced recently when this problem started about 2months back after finding that the clutch needs replacements but still the aircon comes and goes. the new gas was filled in after replacing the compressor but once it blows cold air it works just fine...please help.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Were any refrigerant leaks found during the compressor or clutch work? Has the system been checked for leaks?

When it is working intermittently, does the clutch disengage or does the compressor stay engaged and turning all the time?

When you press the A/C button, do you hear a 'click' from under the hood and notice the compressor come on every time?

Darkhorse

hi Bat...there were no leaks picked on the system during the compressor change. even before the compressor was changed the system had the right gas pressure readings so it never leaked the gas. By working intermittently i mean that sometimes it operates normally sometimes it doesnt go on at all and blows normal air. and whenever it works the compressor is enegaged . when it doesnt work the compressor is off not turning even though the A/C button is switched ON. and after sometime it will engage on its own or after you try to switc it on and off several times and at that time the compressor wil be engaged. my concern is why it take a long time to engage the cold air after switching on and also why at time sit doesnt work at all regardless the A/C is ON.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Mine works fine fwiw. I've heard of some issues with the GR a/c. Friends 09 doesn't work and he's replaced the compressor and a few other bits but still doesn't work. Leads me to believe he's got a control issue at the dash.