2010 sti build up

bumm

07ed6291d25f9f0826a6271bbaea9201.jpg

I recently installed Tomei EL header. Have AEM intake and Cobb AP stage 2. Am going Tuesday to IAG in MD for my first pro tune. Am excited to see what gets pulled out of the hat.
Am planning on Tomei M8265 oem mount turbo. Have CNT fmic on way. Just need pump and injectors. Hoping to be around 400 whp after that. If anyone has close to this setup give me a hint on what to expect. Thanks for listening.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome! Excited to see the results as well!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Cant answer that since i have no knowledge. [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION] :lol:

TK-421

Neither turbo's if you want a good turbo, go Blouch or Forced Performance. IMHO AMR is overpriced and they have crap warranties, Blouch has an excellent rebuild program and do everything in house, same goes for Forced Performance. My customers run a lot of FP turbos on Evo's and Blouch for Subaru's

TK-421

And if your looking for around 400, you'll need a DW65C, 850cc's but I recommend 1000cc's Injector Dynamics makes the best scale able 1000cc injector in my personal opinion and at least a Blouch DOM 1.5 XTR, but be forewarned your not going to last very long at 400 on stock internals, that's really right on the edge of the threshold on the stock internals. IAG is a really good shop, you'll be in good hands.

bumm

Thanks for the intel guys. The only thing about Bloush is been reading forums and doesnt seem that guys are happy with them. Most have been happy with the Tomei 7960... what about rotated turbo? Just wasn't looking for all the extra cost. Im just looking to play around on the street and make couple passes at track just to get a number and satisfaction for the car.. just want to enjoy driving it. If someone pulls beside me i wanna be able to smile and say by by... dont race all the time is rare for me to do so.

TK-421

Not too sure what forum your reading that says people aren't happy with Blouch? They are the number 1 selling stock frame turbo company for Subaru's. Maybe your mistaken with someone else, but Blouch uses Garrett CHRA's. For instance if you had a issue with your Tomei, good luck trying to get it warrantied in a timely fashion and find anyone who will service the actual turbo without having to ship it overseas. I mean don't get me wrong Tomei makes a good product, but for less money you can get a better product that's made in the US that has people that you can talk too on the phone that speak English. To be completely honest most of my customers end up replacing their ARMS turbo's with Blouch turbochargers when they take a shit.

Now going rotated, that's an option, but your starting to get into the territory of built engine again, a 30r isn't going to be a happy turbo until about 16 to 17 psi, that's when it's just starting to get into it's efficiency range. And when it comes to boost pressures psi isn't just psi, it's also the CFM the volume of air flow at that certain pressure can cause the same amount of stress on engine internals as 28 to 30 psi on a smaller stock frame turbo.

You came from a GTO which had that LS power instant torque and horsepower that you had available when someone would pull behind you and you wanted to say bye bye.

Sure you can have that in a Subaru, but a Subaru EJ series engine is never going to be able to take the abuse an LS engine could, not by a long shot.

It takes some dedication and work to build a Subaru engine to go fast in straight lines for highway pulls and 1/4 mile passes. Most Subaru owners keep the power level modest and focus on suspension because these cars were designed to be thrown around in the corners at a blistering pace. There are a small amount of STi's that I know of that hang in the 800 to 900 horsepower range. Fast straight like cars, but are absolute dogs in the corners. What most subie owners strive for is a all around package build, handling, power and daily driver readiness.

When you start getting into big power and rotated setups, reliability goes out the window. The rotated set ups also have a pretty big flaw and that is lag. The EJ series was designed for a small housing turbo, not a monster .82 or even .63 AR turbine housing. It's a dual cam 4 cylinder engine.

Put into the mind frame that your power goals are 400 whp and you want the reliability of a daily driver and having the ability to put your foot down anywhere and just pull from who ever gets next to you, I would not be surprised if IAG also tells you to consider building your short block. The pistons in these cars are the absolute weak link when it comes to making power.

I would honestly still consider going with a stock frame turbo that is relative in size to a 20g turbo and making what power you can safely on the stock engine, and enjoying that while you save for engine internal work, so you can march further toward your higher power goals while still having a reliable turn key automobile.

bumm

Wow. Thank you for that. Does Blouch have roller bearings or does it really matter and what size should i get in order to be around 400 but not maxed as for future build up if wanted.

TK-421

The biggest Blouch turbo is a DOM 4.0 XT if I'm not mistaken, flows about as much as a GT30r. Blouch turbos use standard journal bearings, but are also sold optional to have dual ceramic ball bearing CHRA housings, plenty of stock frame options, honestly, give them a phone call, talk to them tell them your power goals and what your ultimate goals are, and they can tailor a turbo to fit your exact needs, I've always stood behind Blouch, their quality and awesome customer service.

Get a Blouch turbo you will not be disappointed

Look at the DOM series Blouch turbos, either a DOM 1.5 or DOM 2.0 they are good for the 400 to 470 range

TK-421

Your quite welcome, if you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask, we are all very friendly! Welcome to the Subaru STi family good sir!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The Dom 1.5 is where I've always had my eye. Quick spool and should hold power where the factory VF drops it. Add E85 and she should be good at 400 whp at a reasonable boost level.
2.0 or 2.5 you'll shift power a bit to the right but I'll bet she climbs nicely to redline and with a reasonable spool time.

bumm

Well guys finally was time to put brakes on. Hopefully I get them on this weekend. Found great deal off line. Gonna paint centers black. Gonna look sweet on the ride.
e47c46a4290436b0fd4bfd89fc30714e.jpg
know gonna make great braking difference also.

Those rotors look like the ones I have for mine haha. Think I'm going to upgrade those in a few months, going to miss em after trading in. Where did you pick those up or I need to check the vendors too hehe.