2013 STI Cobb OTS ignition per boost

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Hi all! I've noticed in the Cobb OTS notes for the 2013 for Stage 2 it mentions of the per gear ignition timing is tweaked. Anybody know what they used for the multiplier and the per gear tables tweaks? it appears that this portion of the tune have not trickled down to the 2008-2012 STIs, yet. I'm curious to see what they did. I use 91 ACN.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I would like to know this as well. I would like to get my hands on someone's 2013 ATR

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I have a 13 Limited Stage 1. What is an ATR and if I have it how do I get it to you?

AccessTuner Race. :tup:

All you would need to do is put the installation into a zip file and send it to my email. So you would install AccessTuner Race on your computer and then go to Program Files > AccessPORT > AccessTUNER Race - SUBARU 2013 Impreza STI and zip that folder and all of its contents.

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

it appears that Cobb did the timing per gear basically the opposite of what I've seen on other forums. Cobb retains the negative multiplier, zero the fields on the lower gears 1 and 2, and then progressively retards the timing from low load to high on gears 3,4,5. The other forums, most folks max the multiplier to 1 and add timing to lower gears and zero out 4th and 5th gear, some actually took the time to smooth out the timing but still zero out 4th and 5th.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
it appears that Cobb did the timing per gear basically the opposite of what I've seen on other forums. Cobb retains the negative multiplier, zero the fields on the lower gears 1 and 2, and then progressively retards the timing from low load to high on gears 3,4,5. The other forums, most folks max the multiplier to 1 and add timing to lower gears and zero out 4th and 5th gear, some actually took the time to smooth out the timing but still zero out 4th and 5th.

Cobb's method is safer IMO. The lower gears revert to map timing by default and retarding timing in the higher gears. The other method advances the timing in lower gears and defaults to map timing in the higher gears.

Either method has their uses though so it depends on your goals really

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I was thinking further about this and I am of the opinion that you don't need any kind of per gear compensation if the the base timing and dynamic timing tables are set up properly... Is that what you are saying?

Because really all the timing maps care about is load and rpm and that is what they reference. So if you are hitting (A) load at (B) rpm, it doesn't matter whether you are in gear 1 or gear 50 as long as the timing is appropriate for the load and rpm. So I figure the best strategy would be to sample all driving conditions including running through all gears and cruising and part throttle to discover the best timing to use in those conditions, and then deriving your base map from those results factoring in worst case and fail safe. Then use dynamic advance tables to add timing back and to further tune from. Once you have a well rounded timing strategy using base and dynamic timing, there is no need for per gear timing IMO.

The only thing that I may be missing here is does gearing effect how the ECU reports load to the maps beyond it's initial calculations? Meaning is there some correction factor that the ECU is making based on gear yet still references the same load in the table? And if so then what is the point of having a load referenced map if the load reported is not what is actually being seen.

Subsequently I see that, in the AEM ems, there is also a timing trim table for per gear compensation but as I dig deeper, I see that practically no one uses them. I guess at some point someone felt it was necessary.