Air/Oil Separator

Robert Viehweger

Daily Driver
I like throwing these questions out in case anyone else has the questions, cause I see a lot of them on the FB page, and they're better off here.

At what point should you start looking for an AOS?

Vermont

I like throwing these questions out in case anyone else has the questions, cause I see a lot of them on the FB page, and they're better off here.

At what point should you start looking for an AOS?

Stock.... Honestly the point of a AOS is to keep oil from getting into your intake and condensation from getting into your oil. The crank case instead of venting and going straight back into the intake will instead be routed to a filter and separator (Grimmspeed, Crawford, ect.). This then has 2 other hoses coming off it. One which puts the oil back into the oil supply and the other back to your intake with the air and condensation. This helps to prevent detonation caused by oil in the air and also helps reduce oil consumption that some people suffer from. Even a stock car can benefit from this. If you are having any blow-by (oil in the intercooler) then a AOS would be helpful in reducing and in some cases eliminating it.

I'll assume that this install will void the car's warranty?

From what I've read warranties can only be voided if the part install is proven to cause the failure. Now... The whole "proven" part is where it gets tricky.

If your car is stock and you plan on keeping it stock I'd leave it alone. I see no point in changing an otherwise stock car that's under warranty to remedy an issue that said warranty will cover.

Vermont

From what I've read warranties can only be voided if the part install is proven to cause the failure. Now... The whole "proven" part is where it gets tricky.

If your car is stock and you plan on keeping it stock I'd leave it alone. I see no point in changing an otherwise stock car that's under warranty to remedy an issue that said warranty will cover.

:tup:

If you plan on doing some modifications though I would suggest adding one as a precaution.

R3V

Which model do you suggest? I'm only aware of the Grimmspeed and the Crawford, and the GS seem's to have a lot of issues based on what I've seen. I also know Nameless was debating making their own. I may run a catch can setup until I see what options are out there for the A/O Separator.

ZachTTLM

These guys are def. spot on. there are a couple manufacturers of these as the three above mentioned companies have shown why they are better in how well they work and the quality they are built with. Crawford performance, GrimmSpeed, and Moroso even though the regular set-up is different than the custom set up fuji is going with.

R3V

Does the Moroso have the issue of the foam crap getting in all the lines? That's no bueno for me.

Vermont

Does the Moroso have the issue of the foam crap getting in all the lines? That's no bueno for me.

Honestly the Crawford is the best of the lot, But it costs 304 time as much as the others. I have Grimmspeed AOS on my 09 GR and I am very happy with it. Install was easy and very simple, it also came with everything, was of good quality and is cheap. Like $175 if I remember right, or at least some where in that ball park, where as the Crawford is upwards of $500.....

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Honestly the Crawford is the best of the lot, But it costs 304 time as much as the others. I have Grimmspeed AOS on my 09 GR and I am very happy with it. Install was easy and very simple, it also came with everything, was of good quality and is cheap. Like $175 if I remember right, or at least some where in that ball park, where as the Crawford is upwards of $500.....

Crawford's redesign to the V2 for the coolant line was due to cold-weather issues IIRC. Do you run yours year-round. If so, have you noticed any issues with it in the colder months?

Vermont

Don't have the Crawford one. I use the Grimmspeed one and my car sits in the garage for most of the year....

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah i know you have the GS one! I can read :lol: I was just wondering if you'd encountered cold weather issues, as clearly the crawford guys did, hence the redesign! Everyone and their darn garages and DDs! I want *knowledgeable* reviews on the GS design that sees DD in the winter and I was hoping you could chime in. I dont want to spend nearly half a grand on the crawford one if I dont have to.

Z1107

That's a great setup using a media filter. Same thing you find in aquarium pumps. More efficient design.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think the "foam crap" mentioned earlier was the oil/water condensation a lot of people see. Not foam material used it construction, just build-up.

The santorum of breather tubes! Too much?

Paul.c

As far as the Crawford coolant line fix; it was not only created for cold weather. It was created because the difference in temperature between the intake and the AOS would cause condensation which would mix with the oil that it was separating and create a "gunk/Santorum" which could clog your AOS that you just paid $500 dollars for rendering it useless. Correct me if I am wrong.

Lol at the Santorum comment!!

Santorum:
The sometimes frothy, usually slimy, amalgam of lubricant, stray fecal matter, and ejaculate that leaks out of the receiving partner's anus after a session of anal intercourse. Named, by popular demand and usage, after legislator Rick Santorum because of his homophobic political statements.

ZachTTLM

As far as the Crawford coolant line fix; it was not only created for cold weather. It was created because the difference in temperature between the intake and the AOS would cause condensation which would mix with the oil that it was separating and create a "gunk/Santorum" which could clog your AOS that you just paid $500 dollars for rendering it useless. Correct me if I am wrong.

Lol at the Santorum comment!!

Santorum:
The sometimes frothy, usually slimy, amalgam of lubricant, stray fecal matter, and ejaculate that leaks out of the receiving partner's anus after a session of anal intercourse. Named, by popular demand and usage, after legislator Rick Santorum because of his homophobic political statements.

You are correct about this, but the cold climate guys are the ones that mainly seen this because of such drastic changes in climate causing sweating of the components.

Far as the moroso working in cold climates I know of one guy running one in the PA area and he hasnt seen issues during cold weather. The GrimmSpeed AOS was tested in gold weather since they are from Minnesota. From the reports I have seen there was only minimal moisture build-up noticed. But for the Crawford, they definitly addressed this and it is the best out on the market. With the other two not far behind.

R3V

That makes it a tough choice. I like the Moroso because if by chance there is a buildup or anything the oil isn't put back into my motor. The Crawford is very nice, and really isn't that much more than the Moroso. It's a tough choice, but I think based on personal preference I'd go Moroso.

ZachTTLM

We offer all three, would be happy to price any of them out for you. Just PM me if interested.