Altitude tune issues?

06STI360

I have a question, but to begin with I realize that OTS maps are generic and not ideal for all situations and that obviously a pro tune would be my best bet. For now, a pro tune isn't in the cards due to me wanting to do some upgrades in the near future.

Okay so here's my question. I just moved from CA to WY, I went from 800ft elevation running V1.04 ACN91 stage 2 LWG( Im catless so I have a little creep on the regular WG maps). Here at my new home I am at 6,700ft and have since switched to the regular 91oct. stage 2 lwg map. On the ACN map I would see pretty regular throttle tip-in knock (1.4* at the most) which would only briefly flash but register on my AP.

My car seems to be running much better up here, I haven't seen a single knock event and I always drive with my AP on feedback knock because I'm paranoid lol. I have noticeably less power until I'm making boost(which I figured would be the case) but I am hitting targets. I don't have a wideband but AFR's seem to be good, I do notice that my AFR jumps a little lean at tip in when I shift (jumps into the 15's for less than a second) as opposed to it going rich(into the 12's) which is what it did in CA(probably what the knock was from?).

I guess my overall question is, even though my car seems to be running better than before (besides the obvious lack of power due to elevation) should I be overly concerned or keep my eye on anything? Thanks for the help!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Largely it sounds like everything is ok. Even the lean between shifts is not that heralding. Elevation will certainly effect tip-in the higher you go and the only thing that will correct this is a pro tune. Also the CA gas even at the higher octane is pretty knock prone as opposed to gas in other state of lesser octane

I would just keep an eye on knock as you have been doing. As long as your fuel trims are good, you have no knock, your DAM(IAM) is 1 and your AFR's are good at WOT I wouldn't expect much more from an OTS map at altitude. Also you definitely want to invest a little bit into getting a wideband. $200 for the most useful diagnostic tool and peace of mind is well worth it. :tup:

If you want to, go ahead and post a log... Cruising around town and on the highway will suffice.

Last edited:

06STI360

Hmm I replied to this and its gone?
Anyway, thanks for the help guys, I guess I'll post a few logs when I get a chance. Its been in the 20's here so there is still a bunch of ice and what not on the ground. FWIW my car pulls like a bat out of hell in this cold ass air when its gets spooled lol.

I had money saved up for a wideband/oil pres/boost set up before I had to spend it on the tires.

Another real quick unrelated ? rather than start a thread about it, do you guys think I need a block heater? My car will be garaged but it regularly gets below zero here in the winter. It got into the teens the other night(its parked outside for the time being) and she had a bit of trouble getting started.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Only if you are having problems starting in very cold weather. Either way it wouldn't hurt a thing if you did. :tup:

Last edited:

06STI360

It takes a few extra cranks but it always starts, my car was sitting for like 7 months and the battery was dead when I got home so I probably just need a new one. I was more worried about oil getting to where it needs to be, but I've heard that rotella t-6 is fine for the cold so I'll just save the money for a wideband.

06STI360

Yeah Im Air Force, she only sat from March to the end of September, my dad was nice enough to start it up and take around the block once a month but it wasn't registered so he couldn't drive it enough to get the cobwebs out. It took a few days to get starting normal but I hadn't noticed it struggling since it got real cold. But then again I have a hard time getting going when I'm cold so I give her a break lol.