AMR SLR T60R Information/Experience

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yes I have used that turbo in my last car. I thought it was good. A bit laggy on stock cams but coupled with 272's and a good tune it is actually kicks ass. It's a good low cost turbo. I was putting down 500whp on e85 with that turbo before I blew the motor. Hawkey now has my old car but I'm not sure if he is using the turbo.

Last edited:

SSJBaku

Yes I have used that turbo in my last car. I thought it was good. A bit laggy on stock cams but coupled with 272's and a good tune it is actually kicks ass. It's a good low cost turbo. I was putting down 500whp on e85 with that turbo before I blew the motor. Hawkey now has my old car but I'm not sure if he is using the turbo.

were you using the 8cm housing on it? im looking at getting the new 10cm with billet wheel option

SSJBaku

would you reccommend staying with the 8cm and just getting their new upgraded wheel? or would the lag be worth it up high?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I can't chime in yet on the performance of the turbo (but I can soon, it is being used).

However, I would stay with the 8cm if you want a fun street car. If you are going to do some supporting mods and 1/4 mile race then you may like the 10, but even then I would stay 8 personally.

Does the car have any head work done?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Yeah I would stay with the 8cm. It didn't really seem to lose much top end as a result. Always maintained full boost for as long as I would allow. If you go with the billet wheel then the turbo becomes less attractive price wise simply because it is a journal bearing turbo. At that point you might as well get a dominator 3XTR or a GT3076. I would not be spending $1700+ on a journal bearing turbo even if the wheel was made of pure diamonds.

You can find the T60R cheaper than the one in that link though. Ask some of our vendors if they can get them. I purchased mine for $1200.

SSJBaku

yeah thats the manufacturer link, i want to say with the billet wheel it was 1450-1500 from another vendor, the blouch companion turbo would be the dom 4 correct?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
yeah thats the manufacturer link, i want to say with the billet wheel it was 1450-1500 from another vendor, the blouch companion turbo would be the dom 4 correct?

It really depend on how you look at it... In terms of performance the Dom3 is a closer match, But as far as compressor specs go, the Dom4 is a closer match but performance wise you can squeeze far more power out of the Dom4 than you can the T60R and the spool of the Dom4 is far better out of the box.

Vermont

the Blouch Dom 4 will give you much better spool do to it being ball bearing along with the fact that Blocuh turbo's then to spool rather fast anyways. I would say a Dom 3 would be able to meet the same power goals.... I would still defer to holycrap on this though. He has a lot more experiance with large turbos.

Don't know if it matters to you but both the Dom 3 and the Dom 4 are stock location turbos. So if you have no desire to go rotated they might be an option for you if you have the money.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
the Blouch Dom 4 will give you much better spool do to it being ball bearing along with the fact that Blocuh turbo's then to spool rather fast anyways. I would say a Dom 3 would be able to meet the same power goals.... I would still defer to holycrap on this though. He has a lot more experiance with large turbos.

Don't know if it matters to you but both the Dom 3 and the Dom 4 are stock location turbos. So if you have no desire to go rotated they might be an option for you if you have the money.

Glad to see we are on the same page. You posted this at exactly the same time I did. :lol:

SSJBaku

buddy has dom 3 xtr, its a fun car, he was the one that recommended me go with the t60r for bang for the buck, he said if i a haggle for a while i might be able to get the billet wheel upgrade for around $1400 saving me some $$$ over the 1700-1800 xtr

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Bang for the buck is why I went with the T60R also but to get it to perform well you have to do thousands of dollars worth of other mods, so unless you are doing other significant upgrades (Cams, Headers, TGV deletes, Head work) it is not worth the savings IMO :tup:

SSJBaku

all i need is the heads haha, ive already priced out my engine build with ported heads and gsc 272, would it just be worth it to shell out the extra $ and go with the dom on top of that

SSJBaku

so i guess the general consensus is save up the extra cash for the blouch, i believe the dom 3 xtr fully spec'd is $1950? or in your opinion would i be better suited for the dom 4 xtr

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Well though in all cases the Dom would be the preferred turbo... You are doing all the other necessary mods to accomodate the AMR quite nicely. So to save yourself some moo by all means go with the AMR.

Vermont

Well though in all cases the Dom would be the preferred turbo... You are doing all the other necessary mods to accomodate the AMR quite nicely. So to save yourself some moo by all means go with the AMR.

While he is doing the right mods to accommodate the AMR, I will still suggest to just save up for a month more and pick up the Blouch Dom 3 or 4. You will be much happier with the turbo over all I think. Also something to think about with Journal bearing turbos is that their life is quite a bit shorter than ball bearing ones. Journal bearing turbos also require more oil over ball bearing as well. This could cause problems with your oil pump and oil cooler may not be up to snuff for such a large turbo and built motor. I just don't want to give you bad advice and from how I am seeing it the Dom 3 would be your best bet. Don't bother with the heat coating and just still with the base model. Pretty much any where you go it will cost a good $1800 but in the long run it will be worth it.

@Holycrap: did you have to upgrade either the pump or cooler on your sti?

SSJBaku

the dom 3 xtr was originall my choice, but i did not believe that it would be able to reach my power goal of 420whp on pump on a heartbreak dyno dynamics dyno