AMSOIL Dominator Q & A

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Post all you AMSOIL questions here!!!

There are tons of threads throughout the forum on engine oil, why people choose
the brands they do, the weights, additives, etc. Though we talk about AMSOIL a lot,
I haven't run it just yet.

JJ is sending me 5 quarts for my next oil change, which I'm over due for :?, but I had
a couple of specific AMSOIL questions for all you guys that run it.

I've always run synthetics and most often, I run a 5W-30 (have also tried Castrol Syntec
0W-30).

Apparently AMSOIL Dominator comes in 10W-30. Can we only get it in 10W-30? Are there
advantages and disadvantages to running 10W-30? Is AMSOIL so much slicker that we
need to run a heavier weight? I've seen some people post that they use AMSOIL in 5W-30.
Is this NOT the 'Dominator' AMSOIL?

With other AMSOIL products, including tranny fluids, etc. AMSOIL states that depending on
the product chosen and the desired application, change intervals can sometimes be doubled.

If I'm not running the motor hard (it is my DD after all, and there is a shit ton of traffic), I
sometimes go to 4,500 miles or so before a change. If I've been running Auto-X or track days,
I keep it to 3,000 at most. How about you guys? 5,000 miles doesn't seem that bad, especially
with a quality product like AMSOIL.

Thoughts?

WesternSTi

The Music Man
I'm wondering the same thing, and in the same boat that you are....I'm overdue(about 4100 miles since the last one) for an oil change. At the last oil changed, I used Subaru's Synthetic 5W-30. If my GV's got about 9300 miles on her and I use it strictly as a Daily Driver, would any of you recommend using the Amsoil Dominator Series, that only comes in 10W-30 that I've been hearing so much about? Or should I stick to the 5W-30 Subaru or Amsoil.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We have been running Amsoil Dominator 10W-30 for the past 6 years in all high HP motors. Nothing is better than this stuff. We also change it every 4500 miles and the stuff still looks like new. Goes in red and comes out red. A truly great product.

Also on a side note your STi will idle better, tach out better, and will only take around 500 miles before you see a difference.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
How about the differences between AMSOIL Dominator 10W-30 and AMSOIL 5W-30...
Why are people choosing the 10W-30 Dominator? I can understand 10W-30 if you have
a built motor, but with stock internals, why not 5W-30?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
1st Dominator doesn't come in 5W-30.

Second Dominator is the top choice of oil for us because of the properties in the oil. It has zinc which is a huge factor for our motors.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
The 10 vs 5 is just how the oil acts when cold. It had nothing to do with weight.
A 10 xx oil will not flow as freely as a 5xx oil at a certain temp.... having a hard time remembering???
At work do I can't elaborate much at the moment but try a few searches and answers will flow freely.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
You are correct Spamby, I wasn't thinking when I referred to 0W, 5W and 10W as the weight.
When I was running 5W-30 and switched to 0W-30 for a couple oil changes, it was because of
a very extensive data sheet I read, concerning engine wear. It theorized that a 5W or 0W oil
provided more protection from wear at start up and while operating before oil temps reached
sufficient levels.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Not with Dominator, but WesternSTi your correct.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
It can get pretty ****ing cold around here. :( Had a few mornings this winter
in negative double digits.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
10w shouldn't hurt anything at temps we typically get in the lower 48.
But 10w is 10w regardless of what brand. It's a measurement.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I used dominator in winter 2012. It had gotten as cold as -2 one of those days. Car ran the same as in the 80/90 degree summer weather.

I like dominator the most because its fucking durable... It can take a nasty beating and the shit will still look like you just poured it in the motor during an oil change.

Ive ran mobile 1, eneos, motul, and regular amsoil. Dominator has to be the most durable of them all and with platinum membership, it comes out saving you money in the long run, eapecially if you change oil every 2900-3100 miles like i do.

I change oil every 3000 miles because thats just me. I know it can definitely last to at least 7500! But im so used to changing my oil every 3000 miles that its become a habit, especially if you have ocd! And i dont! :lol:

Longest ive had dominator in was about 4300-4400. Looked the same as at 3000.

Someone should test it at 7500 with normal dd driving and minimal spirited driving.

Also i noticed i didnt burn any oil with dominator!!!!!!

Every other type excluding amsoil was burning about a quart after 3000 miles which is normal for our cars. But man... Dominator is too overpowered! :rofl:

I also changed from motul to amsoil for trans and rear diff fluids.

Instant butter. I believe im around 10000-12000 on those fluids and still butter. Ill most likely change them at the 30k intervals.

Post all you AMSOIL questions here!!!

There are tons of threads throughout the forum on engine oil, why people choose
the brands they do, the weights, additives, etc. Though we talk about AMSOIL a lot,
I haven't run it just yet.

JJ is sending me 5 quarts for my next oil change, which I'm over due for :?, but I had
a couple of specific AMSOIL questions for all you guys that run it.

I've always run synthetics and most often, I run a 5W-30 (have also tried Castrol Syntec
0W-30).

Apparently AMSOIL Dominator comes in 10W-30. Can we only get it in 10W-30? Are there
advantages and disadvantages to running 10W-30? Is AMSOIL so much slicker that we
need to run a heavier weight? I've seen some people post that they use AMSOIL in 5W-30.
Is this NOT the 'Dominator' AMSOIL?

With other AMSOIL products, including tranny fluids, etc. AMSOIL states that depending on
the product chosen and the desired application, change intervals can sometimes be doubled.

If I'm not running the motor hard (it is my DD after all, and there is a shit ton of traffic), I
sometimes go to 4,500 miles or so before a change. If I've been running Auto-X or track days,
I keep it to 3,000 at most. How about you guys? 5,000 miles doesn't seem that bad, especially
with a quality product like AMSOIL.

Thoughts?

I believe someone noted this, but think of the "W" in the 10W 30 as the "winter" blend number, its the weight of the oil during/below 32*F temps. and the 30 is the weight at normal operating temps. :tup:

I also was running 5w30 regular conventional subaru oil for break in, then switched to full syn castrol gtx 10w30@ 1500 miles. Now at 2750~ miles ill be dumping in the Amsoil goodies soon :D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We sent over a question to Amsoil about Dominator and the Zinc levels in Dominator. They said Dominator has the exact same levels of Zinc in the oil as the Z-Rod oil, and Dominator is one step up over the Z-Rod.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
We sent over a question to Amsoil about Dominator and the Zinc levels in Dominator. They said Dominator has the exact same levels of Zinc in the oil as the Z-Rod oil, and Dominator is one step up over the Z-Rod.

Tell George the fantastic news!!!!!