Anyone here do martial arts?

Rice Rocket

I'd really like to study Aikido.
Before he was the undisputed heavy weight champion of lame Steven Segal was actually kind of a bad ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu7aauJuQHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I studied Kempo for years in the early 90s but I was a little shocked by Gracie jujitsu. I kinda lost my faith in alot of martial arts after seeing MMA develop. Then the Army even went to a form of MMA. Which I think is far superior to the hip toss crap they use to teach us. For pure effectiveness MMA has my vote. Wrestling, Jujitsu, Muy Thai, and Western boxing... Yikes.

Last edited:

Scott Stokes

I have taken martial arts since I was 8. Studied most everything. Jeet kun do which is Bruce lee's form of martial arts is my favorite, simply because he took everything that works from all martial arts and put them in one. From kickboxing to Roman greko. But taichi is the best for making the best foundation for all of the arts to come together

Rice Rocket

When I was young one of my skateboarding buddies was Lance Inosanto. His father was a Dan Inosanto. I knew that lance knew some karate. But I didn't realize till about eighth grade who his dad was. Lance told me his dad knew Bruce Lee and I was all " yea right". Then he showed me the pictures. If you ever seen the movie Game of Death, then you've seen Dan Inosanto. He was the guy that Bruce has the epic nunchaka fight with.
Dan was the man who recommended American Kempo Karate to me.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I took Goshin Jitsu for about 7 years. It was pretty good shit. I've seen very few of dojo's teaching this though.
Shotokan always seemed a little too 'pretty' and less practical. My dojo used to kick the shit out of the Shotokan
dojo in the area during tournaments.
...but then again, it was probably more about that dojo being a Belt Factory than Shotokan being pretty. Idk.

I just remember it being about a year and many times, even longer before you were given the opportunity to move
up a belt. We had some scary SOB's with Purple and Brown belts, who'd trained there for 5-10 years while the
Shotokan dojo had numerous Black belt members that were 12-13 years old.

I'm sorry, but at 12-13 years old, you are no where near being ready for a Black belt.

Actually of you go online to the Israeli krav maga site they have a link for the real American places. There are 78 in the US. There might be one in Charlotte.
Know that this post is something near 2 year old, but google is failing me here. Granted I don't really expect to find a real Krav Maga instructor in this shit hole, but you know, just in case. Or I could continue getting deeper into the Army Combatives system here on base, and get back to where I was 4 years ago when I last actively did it.