ARP Head studs????

Paul.Shipp

so im rebuilding my engine and went with ARP headstuds due to high remarks on reviews. i torqued them to the preload of 90 ft lbs as per the instructions. i took this as the official torque of the heads. i put oil into the engine today and it started leaking from the headgasket (did not start the engine) buddy of mine said i may have the head gaskets flipped upside down, and torqued wrong.

whats the official torque spec/ sequence for the arp headstuds? and since i only did the preload torque possible to save the studs?

this is my first rebuild and for the most part done it by myself
heads were cleaned and machined by napa auto parts in york, pa
so basicly HELP!!!

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
@Paul.Shipp
I don't think you can install them upside down as there are two dowel pins on the block that the gaskets fit over. I don't think there is an up or down side to these gaskets.

ARP states that you need to bring the studs to the final yield of 90 ft lbs in three equal increments. This means that you need to bring all of the bolts to 30 ft lbs first, 60 ft lbs second and finally 90 ft lbs. You should be following the torque sequence pattern as provided by ARP, which is the same as the service manual but obviously disregard the actual torque procedure itself.
It is possible that you could have a bad gasket. Are you using a new gasket?
It is possible that the heads are warped. Did NAPA check the heads for flatness? If they didn't and they are warped, your heads will not seat properly. If they are warped, you'll need to have them decked or machined for trueness. It doesn't take much overheating or for a very long time for the heads to become warped
You should be able to reuse the ARP studs.
You may need to get new gaskets, at least I would because once I compress a gasket I never reuse them, regardless if you "can".
These two guys can chime in as they have more engine building experience on the EJ platform. [MENTION=4577]TK-421[/MENTION], @HolyCrapItsFast

As stated by ARP

1. PRELOAD (TORQUE) RECOMMENDATIONS
    2. Following the manufacturers recommended torque sequence tighten the nuts in three equal steps to 90 ft lbswith ARP ULTRA-TORQUE FASTENER ASSEMBLY LUBRICANT.
    Note: ARP Ultra-Torque Fastener Assembly Lubricant has been specifically designed to reduce tension preload scatter andeliminate the need to cycle high performance engine fasteners before final installation. ARP Ultra-Torque far surpasses allrequirements offered by previous ARP lubricants in terms of fastener preload repeatability and performance lubricatingproperties. For more information on ARP Ultra-Torque visit our website at [COLOR=rgb(9.000000%, 20.000000%, 100.000000%)]www.arp-bolts.com [/COLOR]or call 1 800-826-3045.

As from the FSM:

attachment.php

Last edited:

Paul.Shipp

I torqued them in the 3 step sequence for the preload.
but I'm guessing after the preload torque need to back them off and torque to manufacture spec?

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I torqued them in the 3 step sequence for the preload.
but I'm guessing after the preload torque need to back them off and torque to manufacture spec?

No. Follow arp as these are a totally different fastener.
Did they check your heads for flatness?

TK-421

Did you thread the studs in finger tight and then torque the nuts to specs? Because if you torqued the actual studs down its a cause for leaks in head gaskets