Ask subiecop a question

subiecop

Several years ago I started a thread called Cop Haters on different websites and it met with fairly good response (some of you may already be familiar with the threads). Its purpose was to initially grab your attention with the title and then spark questions from the car community regarding "issues" revolving around COPS. After awhile the threads became more of a bi***fest and I closed them. I thought I may start a new thread on this site in the hopes it may meet with a better response.

I currently work as a police Officer in Michigan. The purpose of these Cop Hater threads is/was to give anyone a chance to ask questions regarding police issues...I started this thread NOT for the haters (the name was to grab your attention which if your reading this it must have worked) but for those of you who want to ask honest questions about various situations (i.e. "I got stopped yesterday for 25mph over, what should I expect").

I can't/won't give legal advice, recite laws word for word (those you can look up yourself) or comment exactly on laws outside Michigan but I will try and help you figure some of this crazy stuff out. I do work a lot and may not be able to respond right away, I will however do the best I can to answer everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Glad your here. Some of my best friends are cops. How did you hear about us?

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Wow, lol. Well glad I'm your here.

Paul.c

the site was on a picture posted on iwsti.com I believe

You were looking at the "Girls posing with a subie" thread weren't you? Lol, gotcha perv. Just kidding I am and have been subscribed to that thread since the day I joined IWSTi.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Lets try this again.... All of the crap is gone so lets try this again.

Fuji that is a Good Idea!

Vermont

Personally I have never had a single problem with an officer. This is probably due to me being polite and cooperative every time I am pulled over.

BTW I liked the original thread name....... :D

Back on topic.... So this may or may not have happened to some one I know as it is all hypothetical.... But lets just say some one in their modified Subaru was hit with laser going well over the speed limit.... lets say 140mph and lets say that this individual decides that running might be good idea. Well lets just say for discussion purposes that he makes it and gets away. But the officer following him gets his license plate down right before the Subaru driver disappears into a neighborhood. What would be the usual procedure for the police to follow next? What are some of the charges that might be press in say your area?

STi_Kid

Haha I know but for a blonde I'm pretty smart. But seriously you are a nice asset to the forum. I'll make sure people behave on this thread. This forum is a lot better about proper moderating than the other ones. I know because I'm also on them...and not nearly as much haha

LMAO. Funniest post for the day.

subiecop

It's no big deal for me bro. I'm joking. I never say anything serious. You can read my other posts on here to determine that. I've been through mounted police training, I'm certified search and rescue, I have friends and family members that are cops. I have not, nor ever will, bash anyone on this forum. Please do not take things that I say like that seriously. I realize Subiecop is not familiar with me and my sense of humor, which is why I also said this thread could be useful. And really, it could be useful.
I knew you were joking...as was I but some took offense. But as stated, lets start again!

Vermont

Agreed. I also do criminal background research for the entire country, so I may be helpful with some things as well.

Vermont, hypothetically, if that is VA.. you're screwed :p lolol

So Hypothetically speaking of course, but how long before I need to do my Charles Whitman style last stand?

Z1107

Personally I have never had a single problem with an officer. This is probably due to me being polite and cooperative every time I am pulled over.

Back on topic.... So this may or may not have happened to some one I know as it is all hypothetical.... But lets just say some one in their modified Subaru was hit with laser going well over the speed limit.... lets say 140mph and lets say that this individual decides that running might be good idea. Well lets just say for discussion purposes that he makes it and gets away. But the officer following him gets his license plate down right before the Subaru driver disappears into a neighborhood. What would be the usual procedure for the police to follow next? What are some of the charges that might be press in say your area?

In Georgia, we would get the address meet them at their house and arrest them for reckless driving, cite them for fleeing/eluding, speeding, etc. That's what we did most of the time, because both agencies I worked for had no chase policies unless it was an aggravated felony. If we didn't find them you issue a warrant for the registered owner and suspend their license.

Vermont

In Georgia, we would get the address meet them at their house and arrest them for reckless driving, cite them for fleeing/eluding, speeding, etc. That's what we did most of the time, because both agencies I worked for had no chase policies unless it was an aggravated felony. If we didn't find them you issue a warrant for the registered owner and suspend their license.

Now if that vehicle was registered out of state? Would you contact the state police of said state? I know certain things are not communicated across state lines. Suspended licenses for instance. Every time so far that a certain person I know gets his license suspended he has been able to just hope over to a new state license with out any issues. Now the distance is a large factor as well I think.

Z1107

Now if that vehicle was registered out of state? Would you contact the state police of said state? I know certain things are not communicated across state lines. Suspended licenses for instance. Every time so far that a certain person I know gets his license suspended he has been able to just hope over to a new state license with out any issues. Now the distance is a large factor as well I think.

I can only say how we do in ga. But when we suspend a license through GCIC/NCIC all the surrounding states won't issue a new one until the fines and reinstatement fee has been paid. No we wouldn't notify an out of state agency unless you really pissed us off and we were willing to come pick you up, which typically we don't unless its for a felony because it costs to much.

subiecop

We would send Officers to your house and attempt to make contact. If the Officer saw you driving and you answered the door we would place you under arrest for reckless flee/elude. If you didn't answer (which would probably be the case) they would just request a warrant for reckless, fleeing/eluding etc. In this case it would be "better" to just stop and take the speeding/careless ticket.

Vermont

We would send Officers to your house and attempt to make contact. If the Officer saw you driving and you answered the door we would place you under arrest for reckless flee/elude. If you didn't answer (which would probably be the case) they would just request a warrant for reckless, fleeing/eluding etc. In this case it would be "better" to just stop and take the speeding/careless ticket.

Good reply... Thanks for the tips.

satinwhitebeast

Hello Subiecop,

I'm surprised and glad that someone like you are giving the community the opportunity to ask questions related to your work. I however do have a few questions based on a situation that occurred last winter here in Minnesota involving me, a cop, and a very dark night. It all started when I got off work in Saint Paul driving home 40 minutes Northwest to Corcoran where I lived. The night was very dark due to the clouds covering the moon. After coming close to Maple Grove (Large Shopping District) still on highway 694, I see two different cops with two different vehicles consecutively on the side of the highway; the next thing I know, A Black SUV pulled me over; there was no other cars around at the time, and this was around 11:30 PM close to midnight. I was not speeding and was very confused as to why I would be pulled over. I did the usual with the windows down and hands on the steering wheel. Cop said my windows were too dark, tested my windows and said only 30% light was getting in; took my license and didn't come back for 20 minutes; gave me a citation, threw me the slip and just left. The next couple of days I decided to see how dark my tint was on my 05 STi (purchased the vehicle used with the tint already installed), took it to a tinting shop, the tint came out to be 25%, Minnesota's tinting limit at the time was no darker then 35%. Because I had to take a day off of work to attend the court hearing for the citation; I decided to just pay rather than deal with it.

Questions:

I found out the cop was registered in another city 20 minutes away; Does he have jurisdiction to give me citations?
Does it take 20 minutes + to give me a citation?
What is your take on this? Being 11:30 PM at night, cops pulling people over and I get hit with a dark tint issue.
Do cops have to meet a certain quota for pulling people over for traffic violations in a month just to keep their job and to give the impression that they're not just sitting around?

Thanks much appreciated; I don't hate cops, but I do understand that when one has more authority or power, one will tend to abuse it.

Z1107

Hello Subiecop,

I'm surprised and glad that someone like you are giving the community the opportunity to ask questions related to your work. I however do have a few questions based on a situation that occurred last winter here in Minnesota involving me, a cop, and a very dark night. It all started when I got off work in Saint Paul driving home 40 minutes Northwest to Corcoran where I lived. The night was very dark due to the clouds covering the moon. After coming close to Maple Grove (Large Shopping District) still on highway 694, I see two different cops with two different vehicles consecutively on the side of the highway; the next thing I know, A Black SUV pulled me over; there was no other cars around at the time, and this was around 11:30 PM close to midnight. I was not speeding and was very confused as to why I would be pulled over. I did the usual with the windows down and hands on the steering wheel. Cop said my windows were too dark, tested my windows and said only 30% light was getting in; took my license and didn't come back for 20 minutes; gave me a citation, threw me the slip and just left. The next couple of days I decided to see how dark my tint was on my 05 STi (purchased the vehicle used with the tint already installed), took it to a tinting shop, the tint came out to be 25%, Minnesota's tinting limit at the time was no darker then 35%. Because I had to take a day off of work to attend the court hearing for the citation; I decided to just pay rather than deal with it.

Questions:

I found out the cop was registered in another city 20 minutes away; Does he have jurisdiction to give me citations?
Does it take 20 minutes + to give me a citation?
What is your take on this? Being 11:30 PM at night, cops pulling people over and I get hit with a dark tint issue.
Do cops have to meet a certain quota for pulling people over for traffic violations in a month just to keep their job and to give the impression that they're not just sitting around?

Thanks much appreciated; I don't hate cops, but I do understand that when one has more authority or power, one will tend to abuse it.

About the only thing close to 100% accurate inside a patrol car is the LIDAR gun. Tint meters readings are typically within 5% of the actual tint. As for the rest subiecop can answer the rest since he works in that region.