Back to stock suspension

irishdave

So, I have BC coilovers and I hate the ride quality. They were on the car when I got it. Sits way too low to be practical and just rides like crap. What would I need, to go back to struts and springs. Not alot of experience with suspension stuff.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Struts, springs and top hats.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
^ + dust covers, spring perches, bump stops and possibly 'saggy butt spacers' as well.
TiC makes a kit that has just about everything you'll need. I talked to Tony (at TiC) when
I switched from coilovers to shocks and springs, and he was VERY helpful.

Email: support@turninconcepts.com
Phone: (513) 860-3508

Also, I'm assuming that whatever setup you go with will more than likely be lower than
stock ride height. In that case, you may want to look into Whiteline's Roll Center Adjustment
kit. This puts the suspension geometry back into proper alignment. Lowered cars (especially
significantly lowered cars) without this kit tend to handle like garbage and/or create undue
wear on suspension and driveline components. Just something to consider, but not
completely necessary.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Bump stops and dust covers don't come with struts?

It all depends which shocks/struts you buy, and who you get them from. It's best to
clarify this before you make the purchase.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, CAREFULLY consider spring rates before you buy. Compare them to the factory
spring rate, as well as whatever the spring rates were on any previously installed suspension
you may have had, so you have an idea of what kind of ride quality/performance to expect
before purchasing a spring set. It would suck to do all that work and then not really like the
feel of that particular spring.

I have RCE Yellow's and I am pretty happy with them overall. I hate to bash, but RCE's customer
service, especially on the part of Miles, is terrible at best. They wasted a lot of my time and
failed to give me all the information I needed. Just so you know, and don't waste your time as
well.

Another consideration should be whether you choose standard springs or progressive springs.
Progressive springs are a little softer until they are compressed, in which case, with compression
they get 'progressively' stiffer, or have a higher spring rate. Many people do not like progressive
springs because they believe they are not as predictable in handling, etc. but that's a discussion
for another thread.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
True I guess I never think of buying used springs/struts/coilovers. I always buy new in this department as they can take a beating in their life.
Linear springs may not be that desirable for street use. They present their own quirks in a daily setting.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
You might check out Feal suspension. I have heard they do nice things with revalving stock struts.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
True I guess I never think of buying used springs/struts/coilovers. I always buy new in this department...

Everything I bought was new. It's just that, the way they were marketed, was to people who planned on using the new shocks and
reuse all the factory parts like dust covers etc. The shitty coilovers I replaced were on the car when I bought it, so I didn't have all the
factory pieces... That's what necessitated me getting the kit from TiC.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I can't remember exactly to be honest. I'm thinking $225-ish sounds about right?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Damn! 1800 bucks. Sweet though.

By the time you get everything you need, you're most likely spending that much anyway.
Believe me, I just did this last summer....almost exactly, except I had camber plates and
such.