baking headlight housing

Grinder34

Track Monkey
IIRC, remove anything removable. Any electronics probably wont like the heat.

Alter3go

I've done it on other cars and I do agree with Grinder please remove anything that can be taken off prior to baking. My Supras was easy and I baked them at about 150 and every two mins or so I'd touch the headlight to see if there was play in the sealant. If there was I'd make an attempt at prying the pieces when it was nice and loose. I checked every two mins for 15 mins straight

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yep, I've done it. Remove all the screws from the housings BEFORE you put them in the oven and get a good set of gloves. The metal unit on the bottom (I think it's the ballast) can stay on. Iirc, I removed the low beam bulbs one time because they are so expensive, but it's not 100% necessary as they naturally get hotter than hell anyway while operating. I baked them at 220 for at least 12 minutes. I highly recommend having someone around with a screwdriver or toothpicks to help you keep the sealant from falling inside the housing while you pull the halves apart, because it gets realllllllllly stringy.

Do NOT touch the inside of the clear plastic housing....at all....period. IF you do, or you drop some shit in there and have to clean them, use a soft, lint free cotton cloth to buff them and apply some anti-fog lens cleaner, or you will hate yourself for opening them up. Make sure you also have a good quality RTV silicone or similar sealant to use. There is generally enough sealant still on the housings that you can reheat them and press them back together, but I highly recommend laying a bead of sealant over the existing sealant AFTER you push them back together and replace all the screws. Carefully smooth it down with a plastic butter knife and trim any excess with a razor blade.

I'll try to check back later on this, I am swamped at work.

Last edited:

droopys

Thanks [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] I ended up using a heat gun, worked out great did it myself no help for the strings lol not to difficult. If anyone does decide to go that route with a heat gun start from the high beam side and make shure you have heated the whole thing first.

droopys

No worries I got it all done came out great. But your post will be very helpful to some one down the road [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION]

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Post the pics!!!! [MENTION=3077]droopys[/MENTION]

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome! Cant wait to see!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Damn it really is a big difference. Im gonna have to get around to doing mine as well

Yah I'm up in the air what I like more but Mr sdpd don't like the no amber wink

Better get some amber bulbs or ones that are clear and blink orange when activated.

Yep you have to love SDPD I got a smog ref ticket from a motorcycle cop in chula vista and had to put my car back to stock so I could pass the referee inspection.