Best practices for storing your STI.

06STI360

Hey guys I will be leaving for BMT in April, my car will be left to ponder the meaning of life for about 9 months in my Uncles garage while I'm gone. I bought a car cover for it but other than that I am at a loss as to how she should be cared for while I'm away. Any ideas or things you have done that have worked well?

I'm thinking I will put it up on jacks to take some weight off the tires and put some kind of fuel stabalizer in it. How ofter should it be started? It won't be registered so he won't be able to drive it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

icudruln

Put the car on jack stands, change the oil and coolant before storing, as well as when you come back to drive it. Add fuel stabilizer, and you're set.

06STI360

Thanks guys, I should change the coolant? Car has 19k miles and will never be below freezing. How often should it be started and how long should he let it run for? Again he wont be able to take it out and drive it.

Also should I completely lift the car off the ground or leave some weight on the tires?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Put the battery on a battery tender.

06STI360

Is That the same as a trickle charger?

Would a good synthetic oil suffice? Like rotella or amsoil? Would I be able to drive normally on that special oil? My uncles house is about 70 miles away And I would be changing it at my house before and after.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Yes, that is a trickle charger. I would put amsoil in it to be honest. Jordan from Defined Performance has great pricing on it.

06STI360

I'm going to wait and probably use the oil Fuji recomends, since I really don't see the benefit in using amsoil over a regular synthetic oil like rotella.

Would the pinch welds be sufficent for jackstand points for such an extended time?

06STI360

Bump for name of hotrod oil? I can't find it! Will be leaving for vacation here pretty soon and am starting to buy everything Im going to need when I leave. Here is my plan so far:

-Change the oil
-Slightly over inflate the tires to help against flat spots(40-45psi im thinkin)
-Put a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 oct. fuel. (1/2 tank?)
-Add fuel stabalizer

-Leave instructions on how to use the AP just in case.
-Start it once a month and let it warm up/drive it around if possible.
-I may pay my brother to drive up there at about the 5 month mark and change the oil since I would imagine it will get quite a bit of fuel in it from idling so much. If thats the case I will just put Rotella in it.
-Wash and wax weekend before.

Do you guys think I need to put the car on jacks if it will be driven once a month?

Also, my Uncle is kind of a big kid when it comes to cars. Is there any map I can use thats safe with my DP to not give him access to all the powa? I can tell him not to get on it but he's not going to listen :lol:.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Hotrod oil?

icudruln

Bump for name of hotrod oil? I can't find it! Will be leaving for vacation here pretty soon and am starting to buy everything Im going to need when I leave. Here is my plan so far:

-Change the oil
-Slightly over inflate the tires to help against flat spots(40-45psi im thinkin)
-Put a 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 oct. fuel. (1/2 tank?)
-Add fuel stabalizer

-Leave instructions on how to use the AP just in case.
-Start it once a month and let it warm up/drive it around if possible.
-I may pay my brother to drive up there at about the 5 month mark and change the oil since I would imagine it will get quite a bit of fuel in it from idling so much. If thats the case I will just put Rotella in it.
-Wash and wax weekend before.

Do you guys think I need to put the car on jacks if it will be driven once a month?

Also, my Uncle is kind of a big kid when it comes to cars. Is there any map I can use thats safe with my DP to not give him access to all the powa? I can tell him not to get on it but he's not going to listen :lol:.

With modern tire technology, you will rarely have issues with flat spotting. Typically, it'll happen to cheap quality tires. Set the Cobb AP to the valet mode map. This sets max RPM's to I believe 3,000 RPM, and cutting off boost.

06STI360

Thanks guys! I forgot about the valet mode on the AP.

Car has factory dunlop tires on It still so I wont worry about putting it up on jacks.

Fuji thanks for the name and link.