Bigger turbo install. What do I need to look for?

STIGR-Wagon-Dad

Hello fellow Subaru owners! I am about to install a bigger stock location turbo (my first turbo swap) and would like some advice on what do I need to know as far as installation i.e. what to look out for, additional materials needed, PITA nut and bolts access and what might break in the process. I will be installing a Steam turbo STX 76+ with a 3in compressor inlet. The folks at Steam has informed me that the compressor inlet is shaved down to clear the intake manifold and TGV. My turbo did not come with a boost source tap usually found on smaller turbos on the compressor outlet, and my Perrin Performance 3 inch turbo inlet lacks the 2nd PCV vent. I have a boost source tap and have a PCV tap for the inlet on the way. This will be installed on an 2008. Thanks!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I havent swapped a turbo, but last time I was in there, the bolts on my turbo were all pretty well siezed. I'd give some pb-blaster or kroil some time to sit, and have extra bolts at the ready. Only other item is make sure you've got a tune, but that's an obvious one.

Let us know how it goes!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Remember to replace the up-pipe and down-pipe gaskets :tup: