BOV or DV, dyno on Saturday

Busker

Hey everyone first off, I am absolutely stuck as to whether or not I should get a BOV or DV. Ive decided that either way it'll be a Synapse system. Im just a little concerned because of the current placement of the HKS BOV. On all of the other front mounted setups Ive seen the BOV has been next to the throttle body mine is not. Ill attach a photo so y'all can see. I just want to make sure I do this correctly bc the guy I bought the car from has done something Ive had to correct and I really want to know if it needs to be fixed before I go to the dyno and look like as ass. A little history on the car, it was initially getting set up for Road Racing. It has a Suba performance Spec R built block, a Perrin GTX3582 rotated kit, 850cc injectors ( Im tracking those arent large enough to make the power this motor and turbo can create), APS 3.5" exhaust perrin fuel rails and then the tranny mods. However the guy decided to short cut on the BOV and buy a "hks ssqv" of ebay, its clear as day fake. So I am changing it and was just hoping someone could chime in with a little advice. Thanks for the help, I feel like Im stuck in a rough place right now, trying to figure this out.

before.jpg The intercooler pipes no longer look like that, as they are freshly painted and cleared. Ill be posting some newer pictures soon. Thanks again

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If your intention is to get the synapse I would suggest to make it full DV (BPV) to take full advantage of the valves capabilities. Meaning the valve inherently bypasses the turbo and intercooler when the engine is idling. To place that properly the valve should be placed somewhere between the IC outlet and the throttle body and the bypass hose should be routed before the turbo and after the MAF.

If you set it up as a BOV it will need to be properly adjusted before you tune the car. That is not very easy to do on these valves because adjusting them is not as simple as just changing the spring rate. You also need to manipulate use of the vacuum ports. Also you will need the anti stall valve that they sell. This keeps the BOV shut during idle.

The other option you have is to go blow through MAF assuming you have an FMIC. This moves the MAF somewhere down stream of the turbo and the BOV. In this configuration you will use a full VTA BOV.

The Ebay SSQV's are total crap and if you go with an SSQV then only an HKS will do IMO. Me personally I have used them all and now that I have tried the Synapse I will never use anything else.

here is some more information on BOV's and BPV's that may interest you... http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?216-Guide-to-BPV-s-and-BOV-s

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
But nothing on earth has the cool sound that an HKS makes :tup:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I will add that the HKS is a really capable BOV primarily because of its two stage diaphram. One of my friends has two side by side in his 700WHP silvia. When those things go off it's like a high frequency high voltage discharge. They are loud as fuck.

Busker

I greatly appreciate everyones responses, this "HKS" is doing nothing but surging and Im not even making boost yet as I am trying to finish breaking in the motor. Its completely fake theres no holograms no hks tags, nothing. I just ordered the Synapse and it should be here soon. My MAF is currently set up for Blow Through which is nice. Thanks again y'all, you really helped me out. Everyday I grow more and more fond of this website.

Busker

Yea, I dont know if you know Kohler, black 04 with the flat 4 motorsports roll cage, he and I are good buddies. I guess there is supposed to be some meets he is setting up at some BBQ joint. So when I get more details Ill let you know.

Busker

Yea, I dont know if you know Kohler, black 04 with the flat 4 motorsports roll cage, he and I are good buddies. I guess there is supposed to be some meets he's setting up at some BBQ joint. So when I get more details Ill let you know.

Busker

Yea Bubba came with me when we went to get my STI. Hes a chill ass dude, super knowledgable. Im trying to get on the dyno this weekend, Jessica from revolutions is trying to fit me in. Im gonna be there awhile trying to get my ems tuned.. Luckily Jeremy from Servion is doing it, so it shouldnt be too long.

Busker

Are you going OS? Troy at SUBA said my best bet would be to run EMS, so thats what Im doing. Im lookin to throw down 400, I dont really care if its more then that, as I know my injectors arent large enough to supprt the powwer this block and turbo set up is capable of making. Right now Im trying to figure out my dccd issues, I cant get an accurate fault code, so Im gonna wait until after the dyno to read it. Hopefully its nothing too major. I thought about going to Harvey but Ive read a lot of great things about Jeremy so I figured Id go local instead. Im trying to go on the 20th as long as I dont have leader checks or Staff Duty.

Busker

Well its gonna be set up mainly for rally, rally x and auto cross. Right now Im trying to get a set of Ohlins DFV coil overs, but its not looking promising, so I might just have to get some Ksport gravel/AR spec coils. There will be a dyno posted as soon as I get it done, like I said Im only looking for 400. But I want it to turn like a shifter cart. Im trying to get a good balance.

armygeye

I gave away an HKS SSQV3 for free, it was not adjustable and was always venting making my car run very lean. Even tried tuning it out.