Bypass/Delete 4EAT TCU?

prestonztt

Im doing a 5-speed to auto swap and was wanting to know if there is anyway to bypass/delete the TCU or am I going to HAVE to wire it in?

Back in my DSM days, I deleted the TCU and followed this diagram so I could shift it manually:

Is there anyway of doing something like this on the 4EAT? I can start to dig through the wiring diagrams and see what I can find, But I just wanted to see if anybody had any experience with this
first.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Why going auto when so many go the opposite way?
I can see some of the advantages of this, like drag racing, but it seems to be a real pita. More weight and drivetrain loss due to torque converter. Other factors in just the few things I've seen on this.

I would assume you can delete the TCU but you will not have an automatic transmission at all.

The TCU and ECU speak to one another in such a way that it would be like removing your brain and expecting your heart to function.

You realize that you could use a 4EAT ECU and make the two work together?
Perhaps there is a standalone solution?

I dunno how the MT ECU will react to the new drivetrain. Different loads etc.

Again, why the awkward swap? Didn't you have a built 5spd gear box?

prestonztt

Why going auto when so many go the opposite way?
I can see some of the advantages of this, like drag racing, but it seems to be a real pita. More weight and drivetrain loss due to torque converter. Other factors in just the few things I've seen on this.

I would assume you can delete the TCU but you will not have an automatic transmission at all.

The TCU and ECU speak to one another in such a way that it would be like removing your brain and expecting your heart to function.

You realize that you could use a 4EAT ECU and make the two work together?
Perhaps there is a standalone solution?

I dunno how the MT ECU will react to the new drivetrain. Different loads etc.

Again, why the awkward swap? Didn't you have a built 5spd gear box?

Its not so much an awkward swap, just a lot of people don't do it. If you have ever been in a fast boost auto car, you will know why I want to do this. It's ridiculous how much different a fast auto car feels from a fast manual car.

I don't mind the auto being in manual mode all the time. The ECU should be fine. You can control most of how the tranny acts in the DBW table by adding or subtracting in the requested torque table.

Yes, I did have a PPG 5-Speed Dogbox. But, buying $3000 dollar clutches twice is not fun at all. I just want the car to be more consistent all the way around.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Its not so much an awkward swap, just a lot of people don't do it. If you have ever been in a fast boost auto car, you will know why I want to do this. It's ridiculous how much different a fast auto car feels from a fast manual car.

I don't mind the auto being in manual mode all the time. The ECU should be fine. You can control most of how the tranny acts in the DBW table by adding or subtracting in the requested torque table.

Yes, I did have a PPG 5-Speed Dogbox. But, buying $3000 dollar clutches twice is not fun at all. I just want the car to be more consistent all the way around.

Yes, I know something about fast cars with autos and turbos. ;) It has its merits but I still kinda prefer to row my own gears.

Seems to me being in manual all the time defeats the purpose of going auto. Perhaps I am one sided or just don't see having an slush box that can only be used by rowing the stick.

Ouch. No fun shelling out that kind of cash on clutches. What clutches were you using for that kinda price? I hear ya on the consistency, but will the auto be more reliable?

prestonztt

Yes, I know something about fast cars with autos and turbos. ;) It has its merits but I still kinda prefer to row my own gears.

Seems to me being in manual all the time defeats the purpose of going auto. Perhaps I am one sided or just don't see having an slush box that can only be used by rowing the stick.

Ouch. No fun shelling out that kind of cash on clutches. What clutches were you using for that kinda price? I hear ya on the consistency, but will the auto be more reliable?

They were Exedy Carbon Triple Discs. It just seemed after driving the car hard for about 2000 miles, the discs would kind of weld themselves to each other and have engagement problems. Did some research and that is one of the problems with the Exedy's.

If I can hook the TCU up rather easily, I will do it. But if its going to be a real hassle, im not even going to bother.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I hear ya. I'd still make the auto work in auto. LOL

Good luck with this. Keep us posted on your progress. This will be interesting, to say the least.